Esther

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
Defy V

Esther

Post by Defy V »

So, I've made it to the Book of Esther, and it doesn't make sense. If any ANES majors want to jump in and explain, that would be fabulous.

Why did the king need to replace Vashti? It seems like he would have had other wives and concubines to choose from. Did she have elevated status compared to other wives? Was Esther raised to similar status, or was she just a concubine?
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Re: Esther

Post by Fredjikrang »

I'm probably wrong, but this is kind of my understanding of it.

The king had many wives and concubines, but there was only one queen. So, when he got rid of her he started looking for another one. I don't see any reason why he couldn't have chosen one of his other wives/concubines, but he didn't.

The process is kind of interesting, as I understand it. Basically they went out and found many of the most beautiful women, and prepared them to become his wives. Then they would send them to the king one at a time, they would be married, and then after one day the women would go to a different place where they would live the rest of their lives, and would only ever see the king again if he called for them specifically. (I always imagined that many of them never saw him again.)

However, thanks to the help of one of the kings' servants and probably her own charm and beauty Esther pleased the king, and he decided to make her his queen, and so yes, she was raised to the same position of power that the previous queen, Vashti, had occupied.
[img]http://fredjikrang.petfish.net/Fence-banner.png[/img]
Dragon Lady

Re: Esther

Post by Dragon Lady »

Surprisingly, I have no idea. Esther has always been a favorite of mine, so I'm surprised I never researched her closer while at BYU. Probably because her story isn't all taboo like Tamar's is.

This is now added my list of things to study in-depth if I ever get around to spending more time at the BYU library.