Henna

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Yarjka

Henna

Post by Yarjka »

Question #68269
Just wanted to say, while I don't appreciate the question's ranting nature, I agree with many of the questioner's points on henna and was surprised I hadn't made the comparison to fingernail painting before.

When my wife and I met at BYU, her henna designs were one of the things I really liked. They were creative and I was able to sincerely tell her that I liked them. It's part of how I won her heart.

I can just see the Honor Code Office's fear, though. Imagine a BYU campus where every student is covered in henna tattoos from head to foot! It's an HCO nightmare.

Henna is more time consuming and demanding than fingernail painting, though, so I doubt it would ever catch on with more than it's current subset of users on campus even if it was given official approval.
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Re: Henna

Post by Fredjikrang »

Personally I hope the the HCO never comes up with an official stance on it. I really don't think that we need to be directed in all things.
[img]http://fredjikrang.petfish.net/Fence-banner.png[/img]
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

No kidding. While I personally don't like henna and am not generally attracted to the personality type that uses it, I don't think the HCO needs to make a big deal out of it. In my view it's like caffeine: just because my own, personal interpretation of the Word of Wisdom doesn't allow me to use it, I don't think that anybody else should have to live by my standard unless they independently come to the same conclusions I have. And if they don't, IT'S NONE OF MY BUSINESS AND THEY ARE DOING NOTHING WRONG.
SMP

Post by SMP »

Are tattoos against the honor code? I just glanced at the the page for the honor code, and while I saw some very specific rules regarding things like hair length and body piercings, I did not see any mention of tattoos. Unless I see specific documentation showing otherwise, as far as I am concerned, neither tattoos nor henna violate the honor code.

Yeah, I know it is not meet that we should be commanded in all things. I get it. That works for individuals trying to decide how they personally want to live their lives. But when it comes to rules which can result in dismissal when violated, I think we can expect a higher level of specificity.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

SMP wrote:Are tattoos against the honor code?
No, they're not. However, in the interest of playing devil's advocate, I'll point out that a tattoo is not necessarily the result of a recent decision (given their permanent nature), whereas a henna tattoo necessarily is (given their temporary nature) and when it comes to Mormon religious law (as applied by bishops or by the HCO) we care not just about what actions occurred but when they occurred, since the latter is a better indicator of a person's current state of mind (and presumable state of soul).
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

The thing is, if there in no official policy, they can't dismiss you for it. If there is, they can.
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

Katya wrote:
No, they're not.
I'm fairly certain that getting a visible tattoo as a student would lead to honor code problems. The honor code statement notes that it is based on the standards of For the Strength of Youth:
Members of the BYU community commit themselves to observe the following standards, which reflect the direction of the Board of Trustees and the Church publication For the Strength of Youth.
Here's what For the Strength of Youth has to say:
Do not disfigure yourself with tattoos or body piercings. Young women, if you desire to have your ears pierced, wear only one pair of earrings.
BYU Hawaii is clear about the ban on tattoos, listing "body piercing and visible tattoos" in the "Inappropriate for Men" and "Inappropriate for Women" sections of their honor code. It also says that "these guiding principles apply at all CES institutions of higher education", although "the application of these principles may vary slightly at the various institutions in accordance with local conditions and circumstances."

The BYU-I honor code includes all body art in the ban (even face painting):
Body art or tattoos are inappropriate even if not visible. It is expected that any student who has a pre-existing tattoo would wear clothing which would keep the tattoo covered at all times so as not to draw any undue attention [...] Tattoos or body art are not appropriate. Students having a pre-existing tattoo are asked to cover it so that it is not visible. “A tattoo is graffiti on the temple of the body.”

Henna tattoos are not permanently disfiguring, but they are visible.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

I've always liked what True to the Faith has to say about tattoos.
SMP

Post by SMP »

Yarjka wrote:
Katya wrote:
No, they're not.
I'm fairly certain that getting a visible tattoo as a student would lead to honor code problems. The honor code statement notes that it is based on the standards of For the Strength of Youth:
Members of the BYU community commit themselves to observe the following standards, which reflect the direction of the Board of Trustees and the Church publication For the Strength of Youth.
Here's what For the Strength of Youth has to say:
Do not disfigure yourself with tattoos or body piercings. Young women, if you desire to have your ears pierced, wear only one pair of earrings.
BYU Hawaii is clear about the ban on tattoos, listing "body piercing and visible tattoos" in the "Inappropriate for Men" and "Inappropriate for Women" sections of their honor code. It also says that "these guiding principles apply at all CES institutions of higher education", although "the application of these principles may vary slightly at the various institutions in accordance with local conditions and circumstances."

The BYU-I honor code includes all body art in the ban (even face painting):
Body art or tattoos are inappropriate even if not visible. It is expected that any student who has a pre-existing tattoo would wear clothing which would keep the tattoo covered at all times so as not to draw any undue attention [...] Tattoos or body art are not appropriate. Students having a pre-existing tattoo are asked to cover it so that it is not visible. “A tattoo is graffiti on the temple of the body.”

Henna tattoos are not permanently disfiguring, but they are visible.
I agree that someone could probably get in trouble with the honor code office if they got a tattoo. But that is not the same thing as saying tattoos are against the honor code. Your quote of the honor code statement leaves out a key sentence:
Members of the BYU community commit themselves to observe the following standards, which reflect the direction of the Board of Trustees and the Church publication For the Strength of Youth. The Dress and Grooming Standards are as follows:
The wording seems very clear to me. The BYU dress and grooming standards are contained in the paragraphs that follow that statement.

I am on legal expert, but I suspect that if the honor code office were to take punitive actions against a student for having or getting a tattoo, BYU could be (justifiably) susceptible to a lawsuit.

If BYU wants tattoos to be against the honor code, they need to include it in the honor code statement. Punishing people for violating vague, ill-defined laws is unjust.
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

SMP wrote:If BYU wants tattoos to be against the honor code, they need to include it in the honor code statement. Punishing people for violating vague, ill-defined laws is unjust.
Well, they could easily argue that tattoos are included in the following statement:
The dress and grooming of both men and women should always be modest, neat, and clean, consistent with the dignity adherent to representing The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and any of its institutions of higher education.
Vague and ill-defined sums up much of the language in the honor code. My favorite being the following:
[...] all forms of physical intimacy that give expression to homosexual feelings.
What exactly is meant by this? Kissing? Cuddling? Hugging? Hand holding? Romantic glances?
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

I have nothing to add besides that I love henna, and I have four tattoos and do not regret them to this day and I will gladly wear them into old age.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

The Honor Code office finally got back to me! They said:
The Honor Code statement regarding Dress and Grooming standards states, "Modesty and cleanliness are important values that reflect personal dignity and integrity, through which students, staff, and faculty represent the principles and standards of the Church. Members of the BYU community commit themselves to observe the following standards, which reflect the direction of the Board of Trustees and the Church publication For the Strength of Youth."

The For the Strength of Youth states, "Do not disfigure yourself with tattoos or body piercings."

President Samuelson, current President of BYU, said, “In a similar vein, we are very grateful for the BYU Honor Code. As those familiar with our history understand, the Honor Code was instituted by student initiative and continues to be ratified and supported by our Board of Trustees. Some are confused by what they perceive as imperfections in the Honor Code. What they really do not understand is that it is not based on regulatory control by the administration but rather is a commitment of those accepting the opportunity to be part of the BYU community to live lives of honor. And, the expectation rightly is that each of us here will be self-policing with respect to compliance. We have all promised to live our lives in certain ways which admittedly may be at variance with some of the slipping standards of the world. We have promised to be honest in all of our dealings, treat others and the institution with respect, and be personally responsible for all dimensions of our conduct and behavior. Some aspects may seem more important or relevant than others. But, like the Word of Wisdom (see Doctrine and Covenants section 89), living the Honor Code brings blessings that result from obedience to high standards. In our case, by signing our names we have promised not only our conformity but also that we understand the BYU standards of honor and willingly will live them. And, like the Word of Wisdom, the Honor Code is “adapted to the capacity of the weak and the weakest of all [BYU students].”'

As members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and as students and staff of BYU, our actions are principle-based. Every detail of how we fulfill what we are asked to do and what we believe we should do is not outlined, but the principle here is simple: do not disfigure your body. If you would like to read what a prophet has said on the subject, visit this link: http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2 ... n?lang=eng. A tattoo disfigures the body, regardless of the type. What is important is that we live lives of honor, not attempting to push the guidelines given us. As you attend BYU, we encourage you to follow these guidelines outlined by our Church leaders and in the Honor Code statement.
I think I might have accidentally created an "official posisiton" :/
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

Great, no more temporary tattoos for me. But at least I know who to blame.

;D
Sparklebreeze

Post by Sparklebreeze »

If someone has gotten a tattoo in the past (when they were a non-member, inactive, just felt like it, or whatever), they can still go to BYU, though, right? I just don't get how this could possibly be regulated. Sure, tattoos are sometimes visible, but they aren't something that can be easily changed or reversed.

-If BYU does not allow double-pierced ears, they can require people take out their second pair while attending classes.
-If they don't allow immodesty, they can require students to wear modest clothes on campus.
-If they don't allow "extreme hairstyles," they can require students to get a haircut/dye it back to a normal color.
-But if they don't allow tattoos....what? Require any student who got one in a moment of indescretion get it removed? Even if it was years ago? That seems extreme, even for BYU.

(I realize the above are not perfect analogies, because they are also difficult to regulate/enforce/define)
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

Well, there was that mention of the BYU Idaho policy, where students are required to cover up tattoos. But it seems impractical to me for many of them (arms, for example) and a little ridiculous.

For example: Al Fox. She gave a devotional at a recent multi-ward campout that I went to and she is an amazing person and recent convert, and she has tattoos on her arms. Pretty hard to cover than up all the time! And I personally find it kind of unreasonable to ask someone to do that.
Sparklebreeze

Post by Sparklebreeze »

Oops, guess I skimmed that response.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

BYU has had basketball players in the past with tattoos, and it would look pretty ridiculous to try to cover that up on the court.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

So what defines a "tattoo?" If my friend draws on me while I'm asleep with a sharpie, all of the sudden I'm breaking the honor code? Man, there are so many reasons I'm glad I don't go to BYU. That self-indulgent drivel from President Samuelsen is a perfect example.
Deus ab veritas
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

Although, on reading them again, it sounds like even they are unwilling to make a specific call on it. I'm guessing that you might get in trouble for something "extreme" but probably not for anything else. Which is probably the right call.

Though it does seem like the safer option would have been to simply not answer, but honestly the answer the gave is pretty much the same thing.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

Marduk wrote:So what defines a "tattoo?" If my friend draws on me while I'm asleep with a sharpie, all of the sudden I'm breaking the honor code? Man, there are so many reasons I'm glad I don't go to BYU. That self-indulgent drivel from President Samuelsen is a perfect example.
Amen, brother. I have dermatomes drawn all over my legs right now. Good thing I don't go to BYU anymore.