Shameless self promotion

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
UnluckyStuntman

Shameless self promotion

Post by UnluckyStuntman »

As many of you here may already know (or not, I have no idea how many of you actually know who I am in real life...) my husband had a stroke last year. Since there are very few (active) online communities for young stroke survivors and their caregivers, I started my own last week. I don't know if anyone here has ever had a stroke, been a caregiver, or know someone else who has, but if any of those things apply to you (or you know someone to whom they apply to), please go to/share with others the following website:

http://www.strokexyz.com

Shameless self promotion, I know, but I figure networking is a good way to find other survivors/caregivers/whoever. So. And yes, if you go to that website, my false sense of anonymity will be completely shattered, but building this community is way more important to me.
Whistler

Re: Shameless self promotion

Post by Whistler »

you're a strong person! The only thing I have relevant to share is that my dad got in a car accident where he broke both his femurs and was in a coma for like two weeks. It was miraculous that he was able to recover. I wonder if my mom went through some similar struggles--for a while it was unclear if my dad would ever be able to do math again (which is kind of vital for accountants).

I guess I wanted to acknowledge how hard it must be to take care of your husband! And if you need someone to come over and hang out I am willing to do that.
UnluckyStuntman

Thank you Whistler! The brain is sort of crazy that way - how does your dad do with math (and other thinking skills) now? And boo for comas. I have nothing nice to say about comas.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

My dad is pretty much fully recovered! I didn't know him before his coma, but I hear that his sense of humor changed a bit, and he got more interested in chess and less interested in basketball (I think running was hard for him because of the pins that keep his bones in place).

Maybe his frontal lobe was affected a little long-term because he says weird things sometimes, but maybe I just think that because I'm his daughter (and everything a dad says is SO EMBARRASSING).
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

Great website! It has a very pleasing color scheme.
UnluckyStuntman

Whistler wrote: Maybe his frontal lobe was affected a little long-term because he says weird things sometimes, but maybe I just think that because I'm his daughter (and everything a dad says is SO EMBARRASSING).
Haha, I've wished more than once that I could blame my dad's weirdness on frontal lobe damage...
UnluckyStuntman

Yarjka wrote:Great website! It has a very pleasing color scheme.
I can't take any credit for that, it was all the girl who designed it - I'm glad you like it!
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

So this should be a surprise to no one, especially you, but you're sort of my favorite person ever, Unlucky Stuntman. And in a week I'll be at your house!
UnluckyStuntman

TheBlackSheep wrote:So this should be a surprise to no one, especially you, but you're sort of my favorite person ever, Unlucky Stuntman. And in a week I'll be at your house!
AND IT WILL BE PARTY GOOD TIIIIIMES! *ahem* sorry, I'm excited.