Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Whistler

Re: In the news

Post by Whistler »

yay, I love it when spontaneous class plans work well
Digit

Post by Digit »

Scientists at the University of Michigan take to Twitter to see if they can find time travelers from the future mentioning things that haven't happened yet. The whimsical research paper.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Digit, that's fantastic!
Portia

Post by Portia »

As if I didn't have enough reason to fear cancer already ... Attractiveness of redheads and freckly people ...
Yellow

Post by Yellow »

Wait, redheads are supposedly less attractive (according to that article, anyway)?

Huh. Turns out, most of the girls I dated (or seriously pursued) at BYU had red hair. I didn't realize it at the time, but there seems to be a pattern. I guess I'm an outlier?
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Yellow wrote:Wait, redheads are supposedly less attractive (according to that article, anyway)?

Huh. Turns out, most of the girls I dated (or seriously pursued) at BYU had red hair. I didn't realize it at the time, but there seems to be a pattern. I guess I'm an outlier?
And thank goodness for that! ;)
Portia

Post by Portia »

Yellow wrote:Wait, redheads are supposedly less attractive (according to that article, anyway)?

Did you read the article? It's talking more from a genetic standpoint and who gets hit on more or less. (Redheadedness is more of a penalty for men.)

Also, redheads are over-represented at BYU because of the genetic background of Mormons.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Portia wrote:As if I didn't have enough reason to fear cancer already ... Attractiveness of redheads and freckly people ...
I have to say... I didn't like that article. Not one bit.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I had a thing for redheads, and while I didn't marry a redhead, I think it's possible I could have a redheaded child (we both have relatives with red hair).
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

I keep being surprised we haven't had a redhead yet. I was redhead my whole life (though most would argue I'm brunette now. I claim dark auburn) and Yellow's dad (and mine) were redheads. Surely my kids should have a decent chance at it...
Portia

Post by Portia »

Dragon Lady wrote:
Portia wrote:As if I didn't have enough reason to fear cancer already ... Attractiveness of redheads and freckly people ...
I have to say... I didn't like that article. Not one bit.
Utah and Arizona have incredibly high cancer rates because of our high elevation, sunny skies, and large percentage of Northern European ancestry. I think that those of use with pale skin/freckles/reddish, strawberry blonde, or light brown hair should take heed.

And attractiveness is very subjective. I personally find redhead girls to be attractive, redheaded guys, less so.
bismark
Old Man

Post by bismark »

i will continue to wear my ginger mane with pride. it's almost long enough for me to pull back in to a ponytail. hecka tight.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2014/01/ ... r-next-job

NPR's Planet Money produced this really interesting podcast about computerized tests and whether they can predict how well you'll do in a job. They explored some really counterintuitive findings, such as "If you're hiring someone to do a particular kind of work, you shouldn't necessarily go with an applicant who already has experience in that field."
Digit

Post by Digit »

Apparently, lawyer suicides are up across the board. From a CNN article entitled Why are lawyers killing themselves?:
The problem starts as early as law school. Dr. Andy Benjamin of the University of Washington conducted a study of law students that estimated 40% suffered from depression by the time they graduated. After law school comes the high stress process of admission to the bar, when Lukasik said lawyers fear reporting treatment for any type of depression or mental illness because they risk not meeting the "character and fitness" requirements. "They could shut down their career," he said. Most state bars make subjective decisions as to whether mental illness or depression, treated or untreated, are barriers to a candidate's certification to practice law.

Then there is the career itself.
That's a grim estimate.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Violet

Post by Violet »

Katya wrote:http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2014/01/ ... r-next-job

NPR's Planet Money produced this really interesting podcast about computerized tests and whether they can predict how well you'll do in a job. They explored some really counterintuitive findings, such as "If you're hiring someone to do a particular kind of work, you shouldn't necessarily go with an applicant who already has experience in that field."
This one was fascinating.
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Violet wrote:
Katya wrote:http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2014/01/ ... r-next-job

This one was fascinating.
:D
Portia

Post by Portia »

The recovery of this Stradivarius made me so happy.
Portia

Post by Portia »

If you clap your hands three times and ring a bell, STDs don't exist. Hooray!