0-3
6%
Not Mormon
6%

Total votes: 36

Giovanni Schwartz

Re: How Mormon are you?

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

I feel that there has DEFINITELY been a change in the individual members of the board that would cause me to see this trend. Like I said, I don't want to name names, but I think that most of the people I'm thinking of have either outed themselves in this thread.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

How consistent has the actual membership been? That is to say, what portion of the membership is constant, or what turnover rate has there been?
Deus ab veritas
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

Me! I've changed.
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

I can definitely see a change in the individual members of the board, as well as a change in how open we are as a group. I don't know that it is a good or bad thing, but it has happened. With Gio being away for two years he's going to notice what were subtle changes for us as huge shifts.
Digit

Post by Digit »

I still use my knuckles to remember if the current month has 30 or 31 days. #confessions
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

yayfulness wrote:
Yarjka wrote:It might simply be the fact that we've moved on from BYU and are no longer concerned about the consequences of disobeying the honor code (so we can be more vocal about it).
This illustrates to me one of the key weaknesses of the Honor Code. It regulates behavior but doesn't necessarily influence belief. That's not to say I'm opposed to it or don't think it does any good, but it's so easy for it to become a distraction.
I've heard of parents who refuse to pay for a child's wedding unless it's in the temple. That strikes me as a terrible idea, because money shouldn't be the driving motivation for a temple wedding.

Likewise, although I understand the point of a code of conduct at a church-sponsored school, it does set up an artificial motivation for good Mormon behavior (namely, that you will be kicked out of school) and if that motivation is the primary or only reason for that behavior, then it's not surprising that so many BYU students change their behavior after they graduate.
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

Hey, everybody, thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed catching up on this discussion right now. Special thanks to krebscout, whose sentiment I recently tried to express on my blog buuuuuuut it wasn't as good. I feel you, sister.

And pick me! I've changed. My cousin recently had a party where all of us guests randomly chose a page from our journals to read aloud (after some censoring, if necessary) and it was strange to remember how much I have changed. And I continue to change. I'm still culturally a Mormon, and I try really really hard to love others as I love myself. The rest of it though? Pretty obviously, not so much.

Thanks again for contributing, everyone, and to Gio for starting the conversation.
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

Speaking of which, since when has your blog been privatized?
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

Since my clients started getting creepy. Recently. I'll send you an invite! That goes for anybody who isn't a client or close relative of one of my clients.
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

Yeah, beer me an invite. :)
UnluckyStuntman

Post by UnluckyStuntman »

I mentioned the Mormon Child Bride somewhere in this thread, so for those who are interested, here's a recent post she did about what not to say to inactive (or inactive-ish) people: http://mormonchildbride.blogspot.com/20 ... -your.html

It seems to fit some of what we've been discussing here (or, at least addresses the aftermath - so to speak - of not being a 100% believing Mormon), so just thought I'd share.
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

that was excellent, and thank you for bringing the blog to my attention earlier, too. It is totally up my alley
UnluckyStuntman

Post by UnluckyStuntman »

krebscout wrote:that was excellent, and thank you for bringing the blog to my attention earlier, too. It is totally up my alley
Hooray!
S.A.M.

Post by S.A.M. »

mormonchildbride wrote:They need love if they stay, if they leave, if they are only sometimes active and wear pants to Relief Society. http://mormonchildbride.blogspot.com/20 ... -your.html
I hope everyone has changed in some way the last couple years. Whether that change is within or without the LDS Church, I hope it was change that brought more joy and happiness into your life. Awwww
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I wore pants to church once...
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
yayfulness
Board Writer

Post by yayfulness »

I wear pants to church every week.
Digit

Post by Digit »

I've seen a Samoan guy wear a "dress" lava-lava made out of the same material as suit slacks.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Now I'm picturing a pinstripe lava-lava.
Digit

Post by Digit »

This guy has solid slate gray, with standard white shirt and tie above the belt. And flip-flops (dress shoes and socks on bare legs would be strange looking, I'd think).
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

The ward that meets in my building right before us is a poly ward. I see maybe about a half dozen of those every Sunday. Once the novelty wears off, I'm not sure how I feel about it.
Deus ab veritas