Intraboard dating

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
The Happy Medium

Intraboard dating

Post by The Happy Medium »

In spite of what it may seem from the topic subject, this is actually a personal question. There's a guy that I'm interested in who is a regular reader of the Board, so I'm thinking that I could ask him out in a clever way via the Board. First question, would that be okay or would the writers think I'm a complete dope for asking the Board a question that's really meant for a reader? And if it's okay, does anyone have a good idea of how I could do it? I'm kinda clueless when it comes to being witty :P
Sparklebreeze

Re: Intraboard dating

Post by Sparklebreeze »

No idea what the writers think about this, since I'm clearly not one. I personally find questions that are nothing more than inside jokes annoying, but I think some people actually like them. And I don't read any questions I don't care about, anyway.

If you decide to do it:
Are you pretty sure (read: completely positive) the interest is mutual? I just feel like having archived evidence of putting your romantic intentions out in the open could be super awkward later. Also sooner.
S.A.M.

Post by S.A.M. »

Do you and does he have reader nyms? Then try one of these:
Dear 100 Hour Board,

What would be a fun way to ask Regular Reader Guy out via a question on this amazing board?

-Regular Reader Girl

You would need to make sure you submitted this one with ample time for the answer to post a few days before the date:
Dear Magic 8 Ball 100 Hour Board,

Will Regular Reader Guy to go to the BYU Creamery with me on October 24th?

-Regular Reader Girl

Feel free to substitute nyms, times and locations that are relevant to you!
S.A.M.

Post by S.A.M. »

Convince him to become a board writer, and then you could submit a question directly to Regular Writer(Reader) Guy...
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Might I suggest an alternate? Throw a Board reader party. Invite him. Flirt with him during the party. Wait for him to ask you out afterword.

Not that this is exactly what worked for me or anything... ; )

I would suggest that you contact a favorite writer who you think would be cool with it (if you're friends with any of them, even better) and discuss this plan beforehand. Then, when you submit the question, you will be sure that at least one writer will not find it annoying and will even be prepared to help if possible. Not that I think all the writers will find it annoying, just that that would worry me if I were contemplating this course of action.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Portia

Post by Portia »

I like the Magic 8 Ball idea. Then the snarkmeisters can say "NO YOU FOOL" and the earnest ones can be like "touch his elbow" and his brother/roommate/ex-mission companion can be like "sweet he's totally into you anyway."
The Happy Medium

Post by The Happy Medium »

Thanks for the ideas, the magic 8 ball is my favorite :) I do know the guy in real life and we bonded over our mutual love of the board so I thought he'd enjoy getting asked out via the board. I actually have a few months to think it over because he isn't at BYU this semester, so let's hope I get up the nerve to actually do it when winter semester starts!
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

Awww, this reminds me of the time I asked the board this: https://theboard.byu.edu/questions/52356/

Soon after that, the guy got back in touch with me (because I was proactive about it, booyah) and he asked this: https://theboard.byu.edu/questions/52576/

And then we dated for 6 months, and we're still good friends today.

So, uh, go for it. It can work out well. And if you can do it without getting super inside-jokey, all the better.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

tee hee
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

Oh man, I'd forgotten about the elaborate steps you took to create a fake blog. That question deserves a million votes.
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

And it didn't stop there! I made the poor guy pick up a hideous hot pink purse that said "sassy" on the side in rhinestones from the lost and found, and then inside was the call number for a hollowed-out book in the library--my answer was on the flash drive inside.