good slack classes?

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
yayfulness
Board Writer

good slack classes?

Post by yayfulness »

So... I register for classes tonight. I have come to the conclusion that while there are some good religion classes at BYU, my experiences so far have been pretty mixed. With that in mind, I'm looking for a fairly easy class to take, be it religion or otherwise, that wouldn't give me much homework and would be interesting to me. If it is a religion class, I want it to be both spiritual and informative. (I want to be invited to feel the Spirit on a regular basis, and I want to learn things I didn't already know.) If it isn't, I just want it to be interesting, and easy enough that it won't interfere with my more important classes.

For the record, I will also be taking a dance class, so that suggestion is already covered. Also, to my great dismay, Russian Literature conflicts with Actual Important Classes that I have to take.

If anyone has taken the Isaiah class, what did you think of it?
C is for
um Administrator

Re: good slack classes?

Post by C is for »

Living Prophets was pretty easy for me, as far as religion classes go.

Wow. I can't even remember if I took any easy classes.
yayfulness
Board Writer

Post by yayfulness »

Already took that one. And it was ridiculously easy, but I wish I'd taken it from someone else, since while I learned a bit, I feel like I could have learned so much more.
UnluckyStuntman

Post by UnluckyStuntman »

You may be registered for a dance class, but is it ballet? Because that was the greatest class of ALL TIME. And yes, I think the mens in the class enjoyed it just as much as the rest of us.
Portia

Post by Portia »

I passed Islam and the Gospel with never going and studying the outlined topics on Wikipedia.
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

Portia wrote:I passed Islam and the Gospel with never going and studying the outlined topics on Wikipedia.
+1. It was a great class because the lectures were interesting and the test could be passed without too much study.

Don't do Judaism and the Gospel. It was a lot more work.

See if Prof. Luke Howard is teaching his classical music in pop culture class again. That was a super awesome class with almost no work requirement. I doubt it's being taught again, since it was a special Honors program class (Honors 304 I believe), but look for other Honors classes for similar super interesting topics with little work required. The advantage is that the class is specialized on a professor's actual interest so the lectures are good and they are more interested in sharing their knowledge than in actually requiring work from you. Plus Honors looks good on your transcript I would assume.
yayfulness
Board Writer

Post by yayfulness »

Yeah, it's not offered. If it was, I would be highly tempted to take it. Music 202 with him was incredible.
Portia

Post by Portia »

ENGL 232 001 Shakespeare
MUSIC 311R 001 University Chorale
MUSIC 111R 002 Basic Vocal Skills
DANCE 135 001 Tap Dance, Beginning

All were fairly easy and I got good grades.
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

Any religion class by Alonzo Gaskill has my highest recommendation. There's some reading you should stay up on, usually, but it's not that bad, and there are just a few tests, and one paper, which you can ace by following directions. Oh, and attendance. But he's the only religion teacher at BYU that I've actually enjoyed.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Pearl of Great Price was my single favorite religion class. And, dude, I didn't like religion classes. Except that one, which I loved. :)Can't remember the professor though - maybe Hauglid?
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

Family History was also fairly easy, especially if you already have some family history done and don't feel bad about lying about that.
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

UffishThought wrote:Any religion class by Alonzo Gaskill has my highest recommendation. There's some reading you should stay up on, usually, but it's not that bad, and there are just a few tests, and one paper, which you can ace by following directions. Oh, and attendance. But he's the only religion teacher at BYU that I've actually enjoyed.
Yep. One of my great sorrows is that I didn't get around to having Brother Gaskill until my last year at school, and then I had to drop out of World Religions halfway through. Christian History sounded like a lot of work (well, comparatively) but I would've loved it.

Ooh, I did love University Chorale. With Broomhead. I took it ... 4 times? 5 times?
S.A.M.

Post by S.A.M. »

I loved taking archery. With the popularity of The Hunger Games right now, though, it may fill up fast. Might also be a Spring class.
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

C is for wrote:Ooh, I did love University Chorale. With Broomhead. I took it ... 4 times? 5 times?
Dr. Broomhead is awesome. He's one of the most inspiring professors I had at BYU, plus he's a gifted teacher. (Not that I have tons of experience in a choir, but still.)
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Dr. Broomhead's energy is amazing, although I admit I got a little tired of him telling us to try harder all the time.
S.A.M.

Post by S.A.M. »

As to the legitimacy of badminton as a sport espoused by a certain board writer, there is a winter class for it: STAC 106
mic0

Post by mic0 »

S.A.M. wrote:As to the legitimacy of badminton as a sport espoused by a certain board writer, there is a winter class for it: STAC 106
I've heard the class isn't too great, BUT you can see badminton sport-ness in action on Monday nights in the RB. :)
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

mic0 wrote:
S.A.M. wrote:As to the legitimacy of badminton as a sport espoused by a certain board writer, there is a winter class for it: STAC 106
I've heard the class isn't too great, BUT you can see badminton sport-ness in action on Monday nights in the RB. :)
I love the class :D Also, there's badminton fridays from 4-6. And there's a tournament on Saturday. If you're clever, you might see me ;)
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Zedability wrote:
mic0 wrote:
I love the class :D Also, there's badminton fridays from 4-6. And there's a tournament on Saturday. If you're clever, you might see me ;)
Glad to hear the class is good! I heard this many years ago so they probably have a near teacher or something. :) I'd have to be really clever to see you -- maybe I'll convince someone to set up a hidden webcam?? Just kidding. Good luck at the tournament!
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

mic0 wrote:
Glad to hear the class is good! I heard this many years ago so they probably have a near teacher or something. :) I'd have to be really clever to see you -- maybe I'll convince someone to set up a hidden webcam?? Just kidding. Good luck at the tournament!
Yeah, I hear the class was bad a few years ago, but the instructor now is super awesome.