yarnwork

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
Eirene
Board Writer

yarnwork

Post by Eirene »

I have some questions about crocheting (I feel like I've heard people talk about knitting on here before, so maybe there's someone knowledgeable?).

First of all, any recommendations on where to get yarn? So far I've only gotten it at the grocery store (yeah...) or Hobby Lobby, but they don't have the greatest selection or prices.

Second, has anyone found any fun ways to repurpose abandoned projects? I started making a baby blanket for my sister and I'm thinking about giving it up on it (it looks beautiful but I'm becoming less sure that it will be used more than once, much less cherished, which is what I was kind of going for). It's white and textured, and is currently about 7"x42" (another reason for giving up on it: the first row got way stretched out when I added the second row, so it's way too long now). I tried using it as some kind of circle scarf/cowl, but it's plain white, so it looks kind of dopey as a scarf. Anyone else have any other ideas about how to use a long, white, textured rectangle of yarn?
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Re: yarnwork

Post by NerdGirl »

I mostly buy yarn at Michael's or Walmart (actually right now I'm banned from buying more yarn unless it's REALLY EXCITING yarn because I have so much that it has kind of taken over my storage room). Sometimes I buy fancy yarn at local yarn stores. Walmart sometimes has bags of factory ends of yarn (sometimes really fancy expensive yarn) for about $5 and there is a LOT of yarn in them. And Michael's isn't exactly cheap, but they have decent sales and you can get 40% off coupons pretty much every week in their flyers or by signing up for their emails. And they usually give you a 40% off coupon on your receipt that's good for the next week.

As for repurposing your white rectangle... maybe a hand towel? or take it apart and try making it into a hat. I'll keep thinking to see if I come up with any more exciting ideas than that. You could wrap it around the bottom of your Christmas tree, maybe.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

I buy yarn online from Webs or Knit Picks or at my local yarn store (until it closed down last year). Knit Picks is a nice place to shop because their yarn is a step up in quality from the big box stores, but it's not as expensive as some of the name brand yarns (Rowan, Noro, etc.).
NerdGirl

Post by NerdGirl »

And Herrschners! I didn't know if they had an American site, but I just checked, and they do: http://www.herrschners.com/
Portia

Post by Portia »

NerdGirl wrote:I mostly buy yarn at Michael's or Walmart (actually right now I'm banned from buying more yarn unless it's REALLY EXCITING yarn because I have so much that it has kind of taken over my storage room). Sometimes I buy fancy yarn at local yarn stores. Walmart sometimes has bags of factory ends of yarn (sometimes really fancy expensive yarn) for about $5 and there is a LOT of yarn in them. And Michael's isn't exactly cheap, but they have decent sales and you can get 40% off coupons pretty much every week in their flyers or by signing up for their emails. And they usually give you a 40% off coupon on your receipt that's good for the next week.

As for repurposing your white rectangle... maybe a hand towel? or take it apart and try making it into a hat. I'll keep thinking to see if I come up with any more exciting ideas than that. You could wrap it around the bottom of your Christmas tree, maybe.
I don't understand. A PhD in Physics. Med School. And you knit. HOW?!
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Because knitting is awesome?
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
NerdGirl

Post by NerdGirl »

Because it keeps me from going completely insane. :)
Eirene
Board Writer

Post by Eirene »

Thank you, guys! I think Herrschner's is winning my business because they have the most usable search function :)
NerdGirl

Post by NerdGirl »

Herrschner's is having a black friday sale...