VCRs- still have one?

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!

Is there a VCR in the Family Home?

Yes
59%
No
41%

Total votes: 27

Digit

VCRs- still have one?

Post by Digit »

I wonder if the % who say yes in this small sample space will surpass 50. I'll leave alone the question of usage alone.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
mic0

Re: VCRs- still have one?

Post by mic0 »

Ugh. I thought the question was do *I* still have a VCR, and I don't. My family does (one of those DVD/VCR combos that was sold for a little while).
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

Nope. Though to be fair, we also don't have a DVD player. Or a TV.
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

My parents have one, but I also have one. I love buying cheap VHS tapes.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Huh. I notice a trend. All the quick responses (Like, 8 to 1) were "Yes." Since then, it's only been 3 to 6.
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

We use one all the time at the cabin. So the fun part is that my four year old knows how to work Netflix like the back of her hand and can also work a VHS player, but has no concept of regular TV. Commercials and shows not starting whenever she wants them to baffle her.
Digit

Post by Digit »

It's funny how those things have hung on so well despite the arrival of DVD, BluRay, and DVR/Digital Copy. It'd be like still having a Walkman tape deck and cassettes around the house despite CDs and iPods/MP3 players, which I suspect is less common (the cassette players, that is).
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

Wait, was "family home" supposed to mean our parents' house? I took it to mean mine and my wife's house, but I see a lot of answers about people's parents...

(I'm not sure my parents still have a VCR either, but they do have a TV. And a DVD player.)
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Laser Jock wrote:Wait, was "family home" supposed to mean our parents' house? I took it to mean mine and my wife's house, but I see a lot of answers about people's parents...
Right. My parents have a VCR. I don't.
chillygator
Board Princess

Post by chillygator »

There needs to be an, "I have one, but I am reasonably sure it doesn't work because I never use it, so that's just as good as not having one." option (o: If it weren't a combination DVD/VCR unit, I would throw it out.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Heh, I thought of the question while watching a VHS copy of Start Trek First Contact at the point at which Zefram Cochrane frantically grabs a semitranslucent piece of greenish plastic(?) containing Magic Carpet Ride by Steppenwolf. According to the movie, this happened on April 5, 2063 :)
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

TheAnswerIs42 wrote:We use one all the time at the cabin. So the fun part is that my four year old knows how to work Netflix like the back of her hand and can also work a VHS player, but has no concept of regular TV. Commercials and shows not starting whenever she wants them to baffle her.
This is my four year old sister, too (except that she can't work the VHS player because she can't reach it).
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
The Happy Medium

Post by The Happy Medium »

How else would we watch our living scriptures video collection?
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

The Happy Medium wrote:How else would we watch our living scriptures video collection?
Exactly. Those things are so expensive, I was quite happy to inherit a stash of Disney videos and snag Living Scriptures cheap at a garage sale. We'll see how long the VHS tapes last.

And amazingly enough, my parents no longer have a VCR, which is why they gave me all the tapes. There's something really wrong about that.