Online Course

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
Giovanni Schwartz

Online Course

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

So, I was thinking... I would like to make a free online course where people could go to learn Chinese. But I'm not sure how I could do it. Does anyone know a website where I could make a free, unlimited course, open to the public, that I could edit like this?

My first thought was to use blogger, but then I decided that I wanted to be able to ask questions and have a dialog box for an answer, that would keep track of a student's long-term progress in the course. You know, like a normal online course. I also thought about doing something where there's a section for learning Chinese+characters, and a section solely for speaking (using pinyin).

Basically, is there a website that would let me design a free online course, open to the public? Or a good, online resource, where I could learn some web programming?
Yarjka

Re: Online Course

Post by Yarjka »

This site looks promising: http://www.udemy.com/. I've never used it though. You might be interested in perusing this Basic Chinese course that is already posted there.

I just got done taking a Coursera course on Modern Poetry and found that to be a fantastic set-up. I think as word gets out about how effective this type of online learning can be, more and more sites will pop up.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

You might want to check out memrise: http://www.memrise.com/home/. It's basically a way to make flashcards, but good flashcards with a spaced repetition system that gradually move from matching to fill-in-the-blank.

There are some other language learning sites... livemocha? yeah: http://livemocha.com/
Yog in Neverland
Board Writer

Post by Yog in Neverland »

If every language could have a website as great as talktomeinkorean.com I'd be a happy camper.
I don't know anything about the language stuff, but if you could get some native Chinese speakers to help you make supplemental speaking videos, that would be awesome (plus, whatever you do, you can link to youtube). I really love the PDF-plus-audio format of the lessons on the website I linked to (again, those can both be uploaded to any simple website format)
Giovanni Schwartz

That's totally the kind of thing I'm going for!
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

Awesome, I think I'll learn some Korean.

I'll learn Chinese when your site is ready.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Here too are language-learning aids for a multitude of languages, free from the Foreign Service Institute. Not modern and interactive; just PDFs and audio recordings. Not bad, though. And free.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Giovanni Schwartz

To clarify, I don't want to LEARN Chinese. I want to use the internet to teach it for people for free.