How's the weather?

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
mic0

Re: How's the weather?

Post by mic0 »

Hope your friends are doing okay! Apparently it is supposed to keep raining all day, and one of my neighbors got flooded, so I think we may be in for some minor water damage. We'll see. The southern part of the city is pretty badly flooded, but we live in the northern part so it is not quite as bad so far.

ETA: And, what, here we are 8 hours later and we have some water in half the apartment. Greeeeeeeat. Unsolicited advice to everyone: renter's insurance! Get it!
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

I just got soaked going between the JKB and the TNRB. And there was hail all over the ground. Yep.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Portia

Post by Portia »

16 degrees. Can't have skin exposed or instantly cold. Had to call a cab. Get me outta here!
Last edited by Portia on Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

It's cold here, too. I think the low was like 55.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:It's cold here, too. I think the low was like 55.
Shut up.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

We just got our first "wintery mix" of the year. Blech.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Freezing fog. I didn't even know fog could freeze. Apparently it's a contributor to black ice, and apparently it means we're stuck inside again today...
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

A few days ago it rained so hard it sounded like someone was spraying the side of my house with a fire hose.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Turns out, it takes me almost exactly one hour to shovel my long driveway, sidewalks that wrap around my property, 13 or so stairs and part of my front porch. (Just enough to get to the door.) At least when covered with approx. 4-6" of snow. A lady in our neighborhood Facebook group posted and reminded us all that we're supposed to shovel our sidewalks within 12 hours of a storm, and although it was well-intentioned, I felt a little spiteful out there thinking, "Are you happy I'm out here for an hour with freezing Lehi wind blowing the powdery snow into my face, after dark, while pregnant with limited energy? Huh?" And then this morning the wind had blown snow all over my shoveled paths. But then after church I found footsteps on my sidewalk from people, I assume, walking to church. So then I felt better about everything.

(I wasn't actually all that upset. I actually find shoveling snow cathartic. I just find it a lot harder this year. Probably because I'm just so darn tired all the time. And I was bugged to think that I was probably being judged by someone I don't even really know. And the guilty taketh the truth to be hard. Yeah, it's mostly a pride thing.)
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

Heh, I'm guessing that was an HOA thing?

(I have to say, I really resent the idea of HOAs butting in too much. Especially when they do stuff like ban vegetable gardens, like at my in-laws' house. No, not just in the front yard or something: anywhere. That would be a total deal-breaker for me, when the time comes that we're looking for a house.)
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

No, actually. It's a city ordinance.

And I'm actually fine with the ordinance. We live within walking distance of the stake center, the elementary school and the junior high. And lots and lots of kids walk to school and many walk to church. So clearing the sidewalks is usually a priority for me. They get used often. I was just uncharacteristically resentful of someone telling me I had to.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

But yes, the HOA is a real pain, too. Though, it is really nice to have a clubhouse for gatherings and public areas of grass and sidewalk for when we want to go on walks not on the road. I won't mention my bitterness at having to pay $25 to use the clubhouse that I pay out the nose for every month in my HOA fees...
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

Oops, looks like I jumped to conclusions there. :)
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Emiliana wrote:Freezing fog. I didn't even know fog could freeze. Apparently it's a contributor to black ice, and apparently it means we're stuck inside again today...
"Freezing fog" is one of those terms I'd never heard before moving to the midwest.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Speaking of the Midwest, I flew back tonight, and hoo boy, if Provobians think the teens are cold, temperatures around zero degrees Fahrenheit are unbearable. I definitely don't have the winter gear to survive, and I'm glad I'm moving back soon.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I think it's been around 0 for a few mornings here in Spanish Fork recently...
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

and yes, it sucks. I try to avoid it where possible. I think I need to buy a balaclava or something... either that or find a way to wrap a scarf around my nose.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Note to self: avoid interior Alaska in the winter.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

I remember going to school in -23º weather. And we had to walk 3 blocks to the elementary to eat lunch. I remember thinking, "Huh. This actually isn't so bad. Once you hit zero, it just feel any worse as you go down." I'm going to add now, "So long as you don't have a contributing wind chill factor."

The next day it was -20º and they cancelled school. Go figure.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

I once walked to seminary at 5:30 in the morning across a frozen lake in half a foot of snow and sub-zero temperatures.