The Lizzie Bennet Diaries

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Re: The Lizzie Bennet Diaries

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I am legitimately freaking out about this series right now.

Have you guys all seen the new website? I found it linked in the comments on the latest Lydia video.

www.lydiabennettape.com

It's... well, it's not quite safe for work. And it's BAD.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Violet

Post by Violet »

I apparently missed that one. And it's about what I expected...

I just hope this is a place where the story diverges and Lydia dumps Wickham like a match burning too close to her fingers.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

It's not gonna happen.
Portia

Post by Portia »

So in the dead tree article I read about this, Lizzie is insanely beautiful. That's a beef of mine with a lot of adaptations - I'd always pictured her as average-looking, and outshined by her sister in that department.
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

Which is at least something the 2005 P&P did right. (I thought the Jennifer Ehle version had a very ugly Jane.)

However, I think they've done a great job with making this Jane lovely. Especially at the beginning when Ashley was still wearing too much makeup and we were impressed by Laura's impeccable fashion sense.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Portia wrote:So in the dead tree article I read about this, Lizzie is insanely beautiful. That's a beef of mine with a lot of adaptations - I'd always pictured her as average-looking, and outshined by her sister in that department.
It's pretty well established that Jane is the prettiest of the Bennet sisters, but that doesn't mean that Lizzie is plain or average-looking. The narrator describes Elizabeth as "next to Jane in birth and beauty," Mr. Bingley calls her "very pretty," and Caroline Bingley refers to her as a "reputed beauty." (Mr. Darcy, of course, initially considers Elizabeth just "tolerable," but later changes his mind.)

I think what's unusual about Lizzie is that her wit and cleverness outshine her beauty, in an age when looking pretty and holding one's tongue was considered the best way to find a husband.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

What bothers me about most adaptations is that I got the impression that all the girls were supposed to be pretty, not Jane and Lizzie stunning, Lydia girlishly pretty, and Kitty and Mary plain to ugly. Sure, Mary was the least attractive of the bunch, but to be the least in that family wasn't necessarily that much of a bad thing.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

bobtheenchantedone wrote:Sure, Mary was the least attractive of the bunch, but to be the least in that family wasn't necessarily that much of a bad thing.
And a lot of that is probably that she doesn't pay as much attention to her appearance as the others.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Today's episode. Guys. Tears. Running down my face.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

It's...so...real...
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

Today's episode stressed me out until it was resolved.

Also I got made fun of in middle school for wearing an outfit like Jane's.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

How'd you all like Dizzie Day?
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

So I didn't know my work computer allowed youtube until I went to watch the new episode (just to see if I could -- and I could!)

Right when Lizzie went for it is when my coworker leaned over my desk to see what I was doing. I felt awkward the rest of the time.

However I have since remedied it by watching it a few times last night and again this morning. I skipped all the boring talking parts after the second time. That's not why I'm here!!!
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

I was totally high on FEELINGS all day yesterday, and watched it again before I got out bed this morning. YEP

I feel a bit of your pain, C4. I was trying to watch it while Marduk's dad was in and out of the room, and while I'm sure he wouldn't look I still didn't want that to be what he saw if he did happen to glance over...
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Tally M. wrote:How'd you all like Dizzie Day?
Well, the YouTube thumbnail kind of gave it away, but I thought it was great. :D I'm amazed that Daniel Vincent Gordh can hold his own against Ashley Clements, when she's had almost 100 episodes to develop her character and he's had what? A half dozen? When they brought him in so late in the series, I didn't think that any actor could live up to the anticipation, and I will cheerfully admit that I was wrong.
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

How about that q&a video, huh?
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

C is for wrote:How about that q&a video, huh?
Adorable. The "bye, I'm leaving without you" fakeout reminded me of my own relationship. : )
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

Damn you all for getting me into this thing. My afternoon is totally a lost cause.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Imogen wrote:Damn you all for getting me into this thing. My afternoon is totally a lost cause.
Bwahaha! Better hurry 'cause it ends next week. :P
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

Katya wrote:
Imogen wrote:Damn you all for getting me into this thing. My afternoon is totally a lost cause.
Bwahaha! Better hurry 'cause it ends next week. :P

FOREVER?!?!?!?!
beautiful, dirty, rich