Belmont and other housing...

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
Sparklebreeze

Re: Belmont and other housing...

Post by Sparklebreeze »

Welp, I've lived in Belmont Apartments for multiple years. Do you have specific questions? If so, I'd be glad to answer them.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Pros, cons? Anything that it doesn't have that's particularly annoying?
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

My mom and two of my friends all lived in Miller apartments number 13 at different times in the same bedroom. One of you should move in and carry on the tradition!
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

And when my mom lived there, it was the 60s and they were new and very nice.
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

Gen lived in 13! I was in 15.
Portia

Post by Portia »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/43092/

You might find this useful, Tally.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

I saw that actually. When I first searched the Board for information on housing =P
Sparklebreeze

Post by Sparklebreeze »

Sorry I'm super not good at checking the boardboard very often. Belmont is great in a lot of ways. Some things I like about Belmont:
-cheap
-close to campus
-truly awesome ward
-decent management
-ward meets in a church building
-two bathrooms
-south of campus
-close-ish to grocery store
-close to provo library
-small, but not overly cramped
-big desks in the bedrooms
-vanity separate from bathroom
-has laundry room
-has a parking lot
-hilarious owner who once bought everyone steaks and threw a bbq

What I don't like:
-crappy internet, and you're not allowed to have your own router
-parking still sucks most of the time, despite having a lot
-hot water goes out on occasion
-church meets at 2 pm in reverse order (I got used to it, but I remember not liking it at first)
-little things often don't get fixed for a reeeaaallly long time
-small closets
-not a lot of storage space

I've loved my time here, and would definitely recommend at least checking it out. But do be aware that it's tough to get contracts (at least it was before the mission change), especially if you're trying to move in with more than 2-3 people. I had to camp for three days my freshman year to get a 6 person apartment. I think it was worth it, but I still probably wouldn't do it again. All my roommates got married after that first year, to people in the ward, so I know they're glad we ended up there. It's a really fun, social complex. If you decide to move in, definitely get an apartment on the 2nd or 3rd floor, or #13. The rest are in a different ward, and therefore are lame.

If you do come check it out, there's a good chance you'll even meet me. My apartment in particular gets a lot of foot traffic.

Good luck!
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

Sparklebreeze wrote: It's a really fun, social complex. If you decide to move in, definitely get an apartment on the 2nd or 3rd floor, or #13. The rest are in a different ward, and therefore are lame.
Hey now, I was in that ward with the girls on the bottom floor of Belmont. But I agree: it was the worst ward I have ever been in, and I have been in many.

I lived at Moon last year and liked it a lot, but all the girls' buildings are in the 1st stake which I'd avoid if I were you. Alpine Court was across the street from my building there, and I'd recommend it just because of the ward. The apartments are smallish and inconveniently laid out, but the people there are awesome. If I weren't leaving Provo at the end of this school year I'd totally move back into that ward. I loved it.

Miller is pretty good, but it's kinda ratty.

Avoid Canyon Terrace.

Likewise with Brittany.

I've heard a lot of good things about University Villa. It's the kind of place that you'll drive through in thirty years and reminisce about how nothing has changed and all the good times you had living there. Downside is it's across University from campus, or I'd totally live there.

I went to a Boardboard party at Alta many moons ago (hosted by a pre-writer Portia), and wasn't too impressed. But that's also when I wasn't too impressed with King Henry, so ignore freshman me's opinion.

I had a friend who lived at Park Plaza and she liked it, but it looks weird on the outside.

Have you thought about Regency?
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

My roommate and I right now are looking at Centennial. It seems to be just what we're looking for--though a little bit farther away than we planned.

We actually mainly based a lot of our judgments on internet...
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

Tally M. wrote:My roommate and I right now are looking at Centennial. It seems to be just what we're looking for--though a little bit farther away than we planned.

We actually mainly based a lot of our judgments on internet...
Centennial is good.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

It also helped that the guy we talked to was enthusiastic about it and super nice. Also they have great wireless. I like wireless.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Craig Jessop wrote:
Sparklebreeze wrote: It's a really fun, social complex. If you decide to move in, definitely get an apartment on the 2nd or 3rd floor, or #13. The rest are in a different ward, and therefore are lame.
Hey now, I was in that ward with the girls on the bottom floor of Belmont. But I agree: it was the worst ward I have ever been in, and I have been in many.

I lived at Moon last year and liked it a lot, but all the girls' buildings are in the 1st stake which I'd avoid if I were you. Alpine Court was across the street from my building there, and I'd recommend it just because of the ward. The apartments are smallish and inconveniently laid out, but the people there are awesome. If I weren't leaving Provo at the end of this school year I'd totally move back into that ward. I loved it.

Miller is pretty good, but it's kinda ratty.

Avoid Canyon Terrace.

Likewise with Brittany.

I've heard a lot of good things about University Villa. It's the kind of place that you'll drive through in thirty years and reminisce about how nothing has changed and all the good times you had living there. Downside is it's across University from campus, or I'd totally live there.

I went to a Boardboard party at Alta many moons ago (hosted by a pre-writer Portia), and wasn't too impressed. But that's also when I wasn't too impressed with King Henry, so ignore freshman me's opinion.

I had a friend who lived at Park Plaza and she liked it, but it looks weird on the outside.

Have you thought about Regency?
Woah, cue the flashback. I didn't even live in Alta! Awesome.
Stego Lily

Post by Stego Lily »

Don't move into Belmont. The apartments are tiny and constantly falling apart, and the management is terrible. Once we were without heat for a month (in November) because the management kept forgetting to call the guys to fix it. That...was a cold November. The wards are decent, though I'd recommend you not move into the bottom floor, because then you're in a ward with apartment complexes clear down the street.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

We actually stopped looking at Belmont when we realized how little information we had about it =P Low-information housing was automatically checked off our list.
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

Does anyone know if the 6 person apartments are the same size as the 4 person apt at campus plaza?
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

Squirrel wrote:Does anyone know if the 6 person apartments are the same size as the 4 person apt at campus plaza?
Yes, they are. You're three to a bedroom in the 6-person apartments. I was very happy to be in a 4-person apartment when I was there. :) Though, since the 4-person apartments were still designed with 6 people in mind, they have lots and lots of storage space; by far the most storage space I ever had in a student apartment. (I will say that the people in my ward who were in the 6-person apartments didn't seem to mind much, so I guess it's a personal preference if it would bother you or not to have the extra person in your room.)
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

Thanks! Are the walls really thin? I'm talking about walls so thin that you can hear the people above you singing. That and bedrooms
Stego Lily

Post by Stego Lily »

Squirrel, I live in Campus Plaza right now. The walls within the apartment are pretty thin (anything you say in your bedroom can be heard from the front room). But the walls between the apartments are solid cinderblock, ain't no sound getting through those babies! (though I live on the top floor, so maybe the people below me can hear me...)
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

Thanks Stego! I'm really tempted to move in there. It looks like it's about the same quality as the 'hood I live at now, and it is sooo much closer to campus. And the internet isn't terrible. Those two are huge selling points. I don't mind living somewhere old. I'm leaning toward the four roomie ones, but I bet they're all sold out except for the terms.