Linguistics

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
The Happy Medium

Linguistics

Post by The Happy Medium »

Who here has studied linguistics? Perhaps it's just because it's my major but it seems like there's quite a few linguistics peeps on the boardboard.
mic0

Re: Linguistics

Post by mic0 »

No, I think you're right. I have/am.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

I'm a linguistics major :D
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

I'm studying two languages. One of them is German. The other one-- well, it would make it insanely easy to find out who I am if I told you all. I'm planning on studying a third language next year. I can't tell you that one either.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Is it an Indo-European language?
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

Yup. Both of the unspecified languages.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

I have a B.A. in Linguistics. Happy Medium and Talley, what are you doing for your foreign language(s)?
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

Tally M. wrote:Is it an Indo-European language?
I'll PM you languages 2 and 3. :-)
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Katya wrote:I have a B.A. in Linguistics. Happy Medium and Talley, what are you doing for your foreign language(s)?
Well, it's non-Indo-European =P
The Happy Medium

I'm doing French. I really wanted to do a Non-Indo-European language but I was already halfway through a French minor by the time I chose linguistics as my major. Plus, 100 level language classes are a lot of work!
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

I've wanted to do linguistics since my sophomore year of high school...So, I chose my language based on the recommendation given on myMAP.
Portia

Post by Portia »

I believe the Board was once sponsored by the Linguistics Department. I always felt that that contributed to the disproportional number of majors.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

But the question is, has the trend continued?
Portia

Post by Portia »

Perhaps those interested in languages and research gravitate towards the board.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Portia wrote:I believe the Board was once sponsored by the Linguistics Department. I always felt that that contributed to the disproportional number of majors.
Well, the reason the Board was sponsored by the Linguistics Dept. was that there were already enough linguistics majors writing for the Board that they had the connections to work out a sponsorship when we lost our original home. But it may also have spawned some new Board interest among linguistics majors. So it's a chicken and egg situation.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

The Happy Medium wrote:I'm doing French. I really wanted to do a Non-Indo-European language but I was already halfway through a French minor by the time I chose linguistics as my major. Plus, 100 level language classes are a lot of work!
When I was your age (which is always fun to say), a non-I-E language was required (except that they also counted Slavic languages, for some reason, so I did Russian). But I took a semester of Mandarin, too.
The Happy Medium

Katya wrote:When I was your age (which is always fun to say), a non-I-E language was required (except that they also counted Slavic languages, for some reason, so I did Russian). But I took a semester of Mandarin, too.
That's how it was when my sister-in-law was here. She had taken Japanese in high school but she ended up using ASL for her language requirement. Then she got called on a mission to Japan :)
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

The Happy Medium wrote:
Katya wrote:When I was your age (which is always fun to say), a non-I-E language was required (except that they also counted Slavic languages, for some reason, so I did Russian). But I took a semester of Mandarin, too.
That's how it was when my sister-in-law was here. She had taken Japanese in high school but she ended up using ASL for her language requirement. Then she got called on a mission to Japan :)
Ha!
thatonemom

Post by thatonemom »

All you wonderful language people wouldn't happen to know any Polish, would you? (Or know of a Polish lab or something?) I'm getting some obituaries for family history stuff, but they're in Polish. And I don't read that.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

thatonemom wrote:All you wonderful language people wouldn't happen to know any Polish, would you? (Or know of a Polish lab or something?) I'm getting some obituaries for family history stuff, but they're in Polish. And I don't read that.
Have you tried typing them into Google translate? (You could probably at least get the general gist of what they're saying.)