Linguistics

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
mic0

Re: Linguistics

Post by mic0 »

You could try making a post at the Polish page on reddit, or a request on Lang-8. Lang-8 is really a journaling site, but you could probably find someone who knows Polish willing to help out. The reddit one, usually people are nice about translating stuff on the other language pages I frequent, but I'd be careful if there is anything too personal/private you don't want on there. You could ask if anyone would be willing to help you through private messaging if you're worried about it, or if there is a lot to translate.
thatonemom

Post by thatonemom »

Thanks Katya & mico! These are obituaries for people who died about 100 years ago, and they were printed in the Polish Chicago newspaper, so I'd imagine there's probably not anything too earth shattering in there. :) But hopefully some useful things for family history purposes.
The Happy Medium

Post by The Happy Medium »

Mico, we were actually in a linguistics class together last winter semester. I didn't want it to seem creepy that I knew who you were so I never said anything. :)

/boardboard confessions
mic0

Post by mic0 »

The Happy Medium wrote:Mico, we were actually in a linguistics class together last winter semester. I didn't want it to seem creepy that I knew who you were so I never said anything. :)

/boardboard confessions
1. Boardboard confessions should be a thing.
2. Hwaaaat?!!
The Happy Medium

Post by The Happy Medium »

It was the class where we were always trying to pull pranks on the professor like sitting in the back rows or changing the clock for the final.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

I loooooved that class. Mostly the professor, but our class was pretty funny, too. He didn't even care one iota when we tried to pull pranks, which made it all the better. :) Well, maybe we should have been friends! We can be friends now, though.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

I wish I had a Board writer in my class...that I knew about (cause that's the only fun way for me )
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

okay, so I have a story about this. Tangerine and I were in a BoM class before I became a board writer... and we sat next to each other EVERY day... and then I found out when I became a writer, but after the class had ended.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

and I am terrible at telling stories!
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Tangerine and I were in the senior thesis class together! I think I had met her once years before at a Board function and I remembered her but she didn't remember me. I very awkwardly told her who I was. :3

That's not a terribly told story, it's just fine!
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

So, a linguistics major potentially has a higher chance of running into a Board writer?
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Apparently! :D
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Looks like I'm in the right major :)
Portia

Post by Portia »

I was in your Book of Mormon class, Whistler. /boardboard confessions I even got hired by that professor. Was Tangerine in that one, or first half?
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

well, I was hired by my first BoM professor, so I guess it was the honors class/2nd half of the BoM class. The one where we had a party at his house at the end because it was an honors class? I always sat in the front row, so I probably never saw you ;;.

That's kind of amazing because one of the other people on this forum is related to that religion professor! Small world.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Oh and everyone, Whistler sat in the front row every day, and I sat in the back row. I knew who she was, though, because of her distinctive voice. (I don't think I yet knew her secret identity, but figured it out pretty easily later.) Guess I'm the James Dean of the BoardBoard. Sittin' in the back, gettin' hired by the professor, incog, like a rebel.
coastal goddess liberal
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

yeah and I asked questions all the time XD
Portia

Post by Portia »

Whistler wrote:yeah and I asked questions all the time XD
Yes. Yes, you did. I didn't. But I feel like people will soon get sick of my high girlish lilt this semester.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Someone needs to PM me to tell me the names of all of these linguistics professors.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Now that I know there's a Board writer in my class, after this thread, I'm guessing werf's in my linguistics class...