Braid

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Re: Braid

Post by Katya »

Yay! (OK, I don't actually know who Jonathan Blow is, but he's clearly a Big Deal.)
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

he's the guy who designed Braid, the game we were talking about. He's also obnoxiously elitist sometimes... but its hard for me not to admire him anyway.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Oh, nice. Well, when he's not being obnoxiously elitist, apparently he knows a good blog when he sees one. :D
S.A.M.

Post by S.A.M. »

Whistler wrote:he's the guy who designed Braid, the game we were talking about. He's also obnoxiously elitist sometimes... but its hard for me not to admire him anyway.
Hmm, so Jonathan Blow would fit in the brilliant and rude category from http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/71529/?
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I suppose so. I think that's a false dichotomy though.
Talons

Post by Talons »

I figured out most of the sales happen on the weekend, so I checked yesterday and I was in luck!

I like how it's an interesting tribute to Mario. Even one of the levels is named Jumpman. I finished the first world (world 2?) fairly easily, but missed three puzzle pieces that seemed just out of reach. Maybe when I beat another level it gives me double jump or wall jumping.

At world 5 I finally think I get certain things (like I should have payed attention to glowing objects, and that I can get most every piece without backtracking, so I should quit expecting jump upgrades). I finished my first puzzle (world 5 strangely enough) and went back and the puzzles of the earlier worlds seemed so much easier this time around. So far an amazing game, although it might be better if I appreciated art more.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

honestly, the best part is how creative the time puzzles are. You don't get more jump capabilities, but if you can get higher by jumping on a certain enemy. If you get to a puzzle and think "maybe there's a way... but that's too ridiculous" then you have found the answer! Also, some of the puzzles are just ridiculous, but it's worth getting through them for the last level.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Talons

Post by Talons »

This game got me back into video games, so I haven't checked back here in a while. I just wanted to say thanks for introducing me to such an innovative and fun game. It was well worth the tiny amount of money I had to spend.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

glad you liked it!
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

http://www.greenheartgames.com/

I'm sure those of you who are interested heard about how the developers of Game Dev Tycoon trolled pirates. In any case, I bought the game today, and LOVE it. It's the first time since I got home from my mission that I found myself looking at the clock three hours later going "Oh crap. It's 1:00 AM."

So, download it and support the creators!
Portia

Post by Portia »

Whistler wrote:GUYS Jonathan Blow said he liked my gaming blog on Twitter. :-D
Wow! Well done.
Talons

Post by Talons »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:http://www.greenheartgames.com/

I'm sure those of you who are interested heard about how the developers of Game Dev Tycoon trolled pirates. In any case, I bought the game today, and LOVE it. It's the first time since I got home from my mission that I found myself looking at the clock three hours later going "Oh crap. It's 1:00 AM."

So, download it and support the creators!
I love the picture of the guy developing games in his garage. I'll have to give this one a try sometime.
Giovanni Schwartz

Do it. It (in addition to helping me develop perspective in any publishing industry) is a really fun game. I've put more hours into it than any game since I got home a year ago, and I only bought it three days ago.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

speaking of games, I've been getting into Animal Crossing. It's kind of stupid in some ways--you're basically gathering and selling fish, insects, and fossils to sell and expand your house and town. But since I have to play every day it's made me really attached to my town! The town's time is the same as real time, and they have events for the equinox, groundhog day, etc. It's definitely a game you have to play for a few days to understand the appeal.
Giovanni Schwartz

I played that on GC when it first came out. I just remember that I would invest a whole lotta time, and then I would miss a day, and they would get all sad. And then I would miss like a week, and animals would start moving out. And then I would miss a month, and I would be in charge of a ghost town.