Do you sing?

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Giovanni Schwartz

Do you sing?

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

I'm just curious. Does anyone sing besides me and bob in this forum? Any other musical abilities? Rate yourself on a scale (with 1 being beginner, and 3 being mediocre. A 5 does not necessarily mean professional caliber) of 1-5.

I sing Bass (5/5)
I play the piano (4/5), organ (3/5), string bass (4/5), accordion (1.5/5), and I think that's all I can think of.
Squirrel
Board Writer

Re: Do you sing?

Post by Squirrel »

folk guitar-2
mandolin-1
banjo (not my own)-0.5
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Choral singing I'd give myself a 5/5. However, I'm currently focusing on finding my solo voice and having... and interesting time of it, so if you heard me sing right now it'd probably be 3.5/5. Maybe a 4. The hope is that eventually I'll find 6/5. : ) Meanwhile my sister just gets mad at me for singing loudly and singing hymns "weird."

Also I'm a soprano. Not sure what my range is now, but when I was in practice it was almost four octaves. I used to hit notes only your dog could hear. I did actually access my whistle range the other day though, so it might be coming back.

I used to play guitar, and a tiny bit of piano, but I couldn't do much of either now. Or tin whistle.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I sing alto or tenor (4? I tend to get notes right, but my tone isn't great). I play organ once a month for church, and it takes me all month practicing to be able to play those three hymns (3). I also play piano at around a 4 if I can practice, 2 if I have to sightread a hymn.

flute - 5
piccolo - 3
accordian, ukelele, guitar - 1
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Piano 5/5 (But it's complicated. If you're curious, I'll explain. If not, I'm letting it drop.)
Organ 3/5
Guitar 1/5
Voice 4/5 (There's always room for improvement.)
The Happy Medium

Post by The Happy Medium »

I sing, never had formal lessons but I've got a good ear so 4/5
Guitar-3/5
Piano-4/5
French horn-3/5 (though I haven't played in a few years)
Organ-3/5

We should totally start a boardboard choir! Choir practice will be via video chat and our final concert could be an awesome YouTube video.
Giovanni Schwartz

I'm curious.

Also, @bob (and Whistler): I can sing well into the soprano range in my falsetto. I think I hit at LEAST a G an octave and a fifth above middle C in a couple different situations last week.

@HM: Skype Skype Skype!
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

I have a degree in piano performance, but I haven't practiced in almost two years and I'm not really at a professional level anymore.

I can play the organ in church and the flute well enough to accompany musical numbers. I can sing on-key, but my voice is pretty thin and nothing special.

Tally M - explain the piano thing!
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

I play piano. But I'm really bad at practicing to performance level. Part of that is the quality of teacher I had growing up. Part of that is because I quit lessons after my eighth grade year. (My dad said I could stop lessons after he could open up to any hymn in the hymn book and have me play it. I'm good at sight reading.)

But I compose. Like, I can sit down at the piano and play a song. I just play stuff that I make up as I go along. If given a theme, I can compose a song on the spot about it. I also can find a key signature that fits a person...

So...I play my own stuff at a 5. I feel like I play a 5. But I play other peoples pieces at a 3.5.
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

Fact: I was singing when I read the title of this thread.
Singing, I'd rate myself a 4.8/5, piano, maybe 1.5, and violin, 0.3.
I usually sing soprano. I can sing a High C with very little effort and usually hit at least the F below Middle C. And I think having a Board Choir would be awesome.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

Choral singing probably 5, piano about 2, and violin about 2.5.
Giovanni Schwartz

Zedability wrote:I have a degree in piano performance, but I haven't practiced in almost two years and I'm not really at a professional level anymore.

I can play the organ in church and the flute well enough to accompany musical numbers. I can sing on-key, but my voice is pretty thin and nothing special.

Wait, if you have a degree in piano performance, how old does that make you? I was under the impression that you were 18. Or are you a prodigy like Porsche?
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

Violin: Used to be a 5ish, but haven't touched it in years and years. Guitar: 1.5ish. Autoharp: 1...and that's saying something, because Autoharps are incredibly easy. I'm blessed to own one, though.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Singing (soprano): 4/5 (like Whistler, I don't have much formal training, but I'm pretty dern good anyway)
Violin: 3/5 (I'm one of the worst in the civic orchestra I play with, but a whole lot of them are music teachers, so I feel okay about that)
Piano: 1/5 (At some point in college I started sneaking into the music building on Saturday mornings when there weren't any music majors around so I could teach myself piano, but I've never practiced often enough to get any good.)

Also! I'm totally in for a Board Choir! It would be just like the YouTube Symphony!
Giovanni Schwartz

Have you heard of the Eric Whitacre thing? We could get like the same thing going on.
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

Emiliana wrote: It would be just like the YouTube Symphony!
Is this a Board board youtube symphony?
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:the Eric Whitacre thing
Wat? He is a composer, he has a thing??
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

I sing alto 1 in the choir at church and i sing solo. i've been in several musicals.

i can't play an instrument to save my life.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:
Zedability wrote:I have a degree in piano performance, but I haven't practiced in almost two years and I'm not really at a professional level anymore.

Wait, if you have a degree in piano performance, how old does that make you? I was under the impression that you were 18. Or are you a prodigy like Porsche?
I got the degree in high school, I haven't practiced seriously since then. I decided that being a science major and playing the piano in my spare time would be more intellectually fulfilling than just continuing to study piano, plus I was feeling burnt out. In practice, I have no access to good pianos and haven't practiced since the end of Grade 12 :/

And I'm 19, hence the upcoming mission