Spring Break

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
Defy V

Spring Break

Post by Defy V »

So my husband gets spring break during the first week of March this year. We are in southeastern Michigan right now. Do you know of any relatively close (within 8-9 hours) spots that would be fun to visit? Our thought right now is DC but if somewhere else had a better guarantee of good weather we'd consider it.
Talons

Re: Spring Break

Post by Talons »

I'd say Louisville, but it's been rather cold this week.
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

That depends: what is "fun" to you? I was born in Virginia Beach, which is a big spring break town if you want a beach. Then I grew up in the Cleveland area. I would recommend Cedar Point, home of the most awesome roller coasters ever, but they aren't open by that time of year yet. However, my family went to a Kalahari resort last fall, and it was awesome. Kalahari and Great Wolf Lodge are indoor/outdoor water parks attached to hotels in Sandusky, Ohio and of course the Wisconsin Dells. That way, you can hang out by the indoor pool if the outdoor area is too cold. But I also LOVE DC. It is a busy city, but there is a lot to see and do there.

So are do you like to see museums on your time off, or lay around by a pool/beach? Any other interests? If you have any more details like that, I can probably come up with more ideas.
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

Kirtland/Palmyra? Should be deserted around that time of year.
Eirene
Board Writer

Post by Eirene »

I don't know about good weather, but Amish country is still fun in the winter. And I'll second 42's suggestion of Great Wolf Lodge/Kalahari; those are really fun and you won't have to worry about the weather.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Here's my recommendation: Take off!
Deus ab veritas
Defy V

Post by Defy V »

Thanks for the ideas, everyone. 42, we like historical sites and hiking quite a bit. We're traveling with an infant though so any hikes would have to be relatively short. We definitely do want to hit the Mormon sites at some point, Craig.
That made me happy, Marduk. Not happy enough to go north for spring break, but happy enough to consider it someday when I manage to get my passport.
Weather aside, what's there to do in Louisville? Or Kentucky in general? I feel like I don't know anything about that state.
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

I did a day trip to Louisville a few years ago and we had a lot of fun at the Louisville Slugger Museum - they take you right through the factory and everyone gets a free mini bat that's about a foot long. We also stopped in at the Louisville Science Center, which was incredibly fun to play around in. There's also the Muhammad Ali museum, which we had to skip because we ran out of time.
Talons

Post by Talons »

The science center currently has the Body Worlds exhibit going on. Churchill Downs is probably the most famous part of Louisville. They don't have any races going on right now, but they do have a fun little museum where you can pretend to race horses, pretend to bet on horses, put on jockey gear, and look at the famous hats. Louisville also has some cool Victorian homes, a view of the Ohio river, and some hipster stores. I wouldn't spend my entire spring break here though, maybe just a day or two.
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

Talons wrote:The science center currently has the Body Worlds exhibit going on.
Oh boy. I saw that exhibit when it came to a near-by museum. I was in middle school. It was fine when I temporarily forgot that I were in a room with tons of bead bodies. But then i'd remember they weren't plastic, and get completely freaked out on the inside. I had to behave and deal with it because I didn't want to offend my friend's parents- they had bought the tickets and drove us there. I went home and then went crazy.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

I loved Body worlds!
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

You are a being of strong mind and stout heart. I applaud your zedability.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

I used to be a totally faint-y person in high school when anything remotely anatomical came up. Then we dissected a sheep's heart and lungs in biology, and I enjoyed it so much that I figured out how to look at it from more of an academic perspective, and now I'm weirdly non-grossed-out by things.
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

Defy V wrote:42, we like historical sites and hiking quite a bit.
One combination of historical sites and hiking that I love is Gettysburg. That is partially because my 8th grade teachers were obsessed with the Civil War, so going there with them was one of the highlights of my education, but is it always a great place to wander around.
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

Zedability wrote:I used to be a totally faint-y person in high school when anything remotely anatomical came up. Then we dissected a sheep's heart and lungs in biology, and I enjoyed it so much that I figured out how to look at it from more of an academic perspective, and now I'm weirdly non-grossed-out by things.
isn't it weird/cool that sheep hearts smell like crayons?! :-P
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

TheAnswerIs42 wrote:
Defy V wrote:42, we like historical sites and hiking quite a bit.
One combination of historical sites and hiking that I love is Gettysburg. That is partially because my 8th grade teachers were obsessed with the Civil War, so going there with them was one of the highlights of my education, but is it always a great place to wander around.
Ooh! I've been there! They have people that do kid-friendly reenactments of different things about the Civil War. I remember I liked the battle-field doctor the best. I was eight at the time, so things have probably changed since then.
Talons

Post by Talons »

I forgot to mention My Old Kentucky Home State Park, the birthplace of Lincoln, and many burbon distilleries are all in Kentucky. Although I'm sure Gettysburg is cooler.