Measuring proficiency of NATIVE English speakers?

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
wryness

Measuring proficiency of NATIVE English speakers?

Post by wryness »

I saw another question on here about linguistics, and that made me think of one that's been on my mind for quite some time.

I have some familiarity with the TESOL major (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) without having taken their classes, and it seems that TESOL is all about measuring proficiency and progress. There's a lot of data collection and analysis and figuring out just how proficient someone is--figuring out what stage of their language proficiency they're in. I mean, (practically) all international students are required to take the TOEFL test to attend college, and that is all about quantifying someone's proficiency.

However, I'm wondering if there are any quantitative standards to measure the proficiency of native speakers of English. I was planning on doing a research project for secondary education that involves this, but I've pretty much thrown in the towel because all of the sources I've found (mostly things from English Journal and the like) tend to speak in generalities and don't use a lot of hard data about students' writing and usage. I can't start my project unless I see there's some way to quantitatively assess native English writing proficiency.

Do any of you know of studies or sources that talk about measuring the writing proficiency of native English speakers?
mic0

Re: Measuring proficiency of NATIVE English speakers?

Post by mic0 »

I.... actually have been thinking about this a lot lately and would also like to hear any opinions/facts people may have. :)
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Well, there was a "How many words do you know?" test on the board a week or two ago. That would at least be a start...
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

It's hard to test, would be my opinion. There's not really a set standard. Also, if you're attempting to determine word count, what *really* determines the number of words you know? I know the meaning of the word "pulchritudinous" but I don't use it in everyday conversation...There's other words I don't know that I'm sure I could guess the meaning of...do I know them?
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

I hope that test wasn't entirely accurate- I scored way below the average of people a year younger than I am. I read at the level of a 12th grader when I was in the fifth grade, so I don't think it was right-- It was a bit of a blow to my pride. Yet, I have to admit that I often have to ask Google to define a word or two that our Most Attractive Mod has said. He does have an impressive vocabulary. I'm curious: does everyone else here occasionally need to look up the definition of words used here on the Board board? In any case- It has definitely increased my vocabulary- being active on the Bb. Also, does anyone know of a really good vocabulary building app?
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

wryness wrote:Do any of you know of studies or sources that talk about measuring the writing proficiency of native English speakers?
What about the GRE? It has an analytical writing section.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Squirrel wrote:I'm curious: does everyone else here occasionally need to look up the definition of words used here on the Board board?
Sure.
Squirrel wrote:In any case- It has definitely increased my vocabulary- being active on the Bb. Also, does anyone know of a really good vocabulary building app?
Truthfully, I'm going to say that the best vocabulary building program is reading a lot. I'm skeptical of things like "word of the day" programs for genuine vocabulary building because they present the word outside of context, which means that you lose information about the social register of the word and its frequency of use. I'd recommend that you read some contemporary nonfiction articles on a topic that interests you and then keep track of the words you learn. (And if you really want to go the extra mile, log in to a journal database and do a search on that word so that you can find other examples of its use in context.) And if you're not learning new words from the articles you're picking, pick a more challenging source! ;) (I love articles from The New Yorker, because I learn at least one new word per issue, although I don't know how well those words stick with me.)
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

YES there are studies that look at native writing skills. However, they're not in linguistics. They're in research on college and high school composition (writing) curricula. Unfortunately the only thing I can remember from my composition pedagogy course is that college writing instructors ALWAYS notice if you've used the wrong "its/it's." Other errors are noticed less often.

I might have more info on this but I'd have to go digging in files for it (which I'm willing to do if you like).
wryness

Post by wryness »

That's very nice of you, Whistler! I might normally take you up on that, but I just went to a teaching workshop of sorts and found out that I should basically be looking for jobs RIGHT NOW. A combination of semi-procrastination and being super busy means that I really don't think I'm going to be able to carry out this project. (Which is too bad--I was going to get some pretty good funding for it!)

I have the kind of personality where I just hate, hate, HATE to let an opportunity go. I like to say "yes" to everyone, including myself...but I think I just have to let this opportunity die. (Frustrating, because it's really my own fault I haven't progressed sooner by now.)

Sorry, you didn't ask for my Personal Confession Time. But I wanted to explain why you don't have to dredge through those files for me. :)
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

haha, thanks, that's why I asked first :-)