anxiety

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
Zedability

anxiety

Post by Zedability »

What are some ways you guys deal with anxiety?
S.A.M.

Re: anxiety

Post by S.A.M. »

Food! Yum!
S.A.M.

Post by S.A.M. »

Long bike rides, like 100+ miles.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

S.A.M. wrote:Long bike rides, like 100+ miles.
I said anxiety, not insanity ;P
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

1. Cymbalta
2. Xanax
(I obviously don't recommend either of those as a first line of defense, but there's no shame if you end up needing something like that.)

But in all seriousness ... exercise, deep breathing, and a healthy diet (little to no sugar or caffeine (says the coffee addict...)) are good natural ways of calming the body and mind. When I was of a more religious bent, praying or memorizing Scripture was often helpful -- although don't fall into the trap of thinking that anxiety is in some way a reflection on your spiritual state, because it's not.

Talking or writing what's stressing you out can sometimes help put things in perspective, too. For instance, it's not too hard for me to go from "I had a rough day at work today" to "I will never be successful," but as soon as I say that out loud, I can see that the anxiety isn't completely founded.

But mostly, exercise a lot.
thatonemom

Post by thatonemom »

I clean when I'm really anxious. Or jump up and down/do jumping jacks. Anything to burn off the nervous energy. But nothing that takes a long time because then I feel more anxious about how I never really exercise enough or clean enough or whatever. (And when I'm anxious I can't start thinking about all the shortcomings I've ever had because it only makes me feel worse)

I'm big on making lists, too. When I'm worried I can't do everything or will forget to do things I try to write it all down and then rank what's most important.

If worse comes to worst (or it's something I can't do anything about) I go for distraction. Pawn Stars is especially effective for me. :)
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

Thanks guys :) My job is a lot of busy work, but it leaves my mind pretty free to wander and then if there's anything bothering me, I just end up obsessing over it or fixating on it and really winding myself up.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I do yoga in the morning, write in my journal every day, and talk through things I'm anxious about with my husband. He thinks I have a lot of social anxiety because of it, but it helps.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Zedability wrote:Thanks guys :) My job is a lot of busy work, but it leaves my mind pretty free to wander and then if there's anything bothering me, I just end up obsessing over it or fixating on it and really winding myself up.
Yeah, I know that feeling.

Also, Benadryl has anti-anxiety properties, if you can take it without just falling asleep.

Also also, if you end needing to go the prescription route, don't let them give you something potentially addicting Ativan or Xanax right off the bat. There are much safer drugs, like hydroxyzine, that are basically stronger, more specialized versions of ......... Benadryl.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

Emiliana wrote:
Zedability wrote:Thanks guys :) My job is a lot of busy work, but it leaves my mind pretty free to wander and then if there's anything bothering me, I just end up obsessing over it or fixating on it and really winding myself up.
Yeah, I know that feeling.

Also, Benadryl has anti-anxiety properties, if you can take it without just falling asleep.

Also also, if you end needing to go the prescription route, don't let them give you something potentially addicting Ativan or Xanax right off the bat. There are much safer drugs, like hydroxyzine, that are basically stronger, more specialized versions of ......... Benadryl.
Good to know :) I don't think I'm nearly anxious enough, especially on a regular basis, to need medication - I'm pretty neurotic but I wouldn't describe myself as "anxious" most of the time, it's pretty firmly within my ability to deal with.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

But I'm also pro-drug when the situation calls for it, so I appreciate that advice all the same :)
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/70184/ In this Board answer, Concealocanth mentioned getting a kneadable eraser to play with when you're nervous. It's wonderful! I got mine at the bookstore- it cost 98 cents.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

Squirrel wrote:http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/70184/ In this Board answer, Concealocanth mentioned getting a kneadable eraser to play with when you're nervous. It's wonderful! I got mine at the bookstore- it cost 98 cents.
I find it weirdly adorable that you're giving me advice via Board questions, haha
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

Oh- I'm sorry. I didn't even think about it like that. I was just thinking of how I found out about using a kneadable eraser, and it was from that question...... I didn't want to take credit for an idea that wasn't mine...... even over an eraser...... I'm just a little obsessed with sources this week...... :-P
Talons

Post by Talons »

I run. Sometimes planning works too, if the anxiety stems from not enough time.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

Squirrel wrote:Oh- I'm sorry. I didn't even think about it like that. I was just thinking of how I found out about using a kneadable eraser, and it was from that question...... I didn't want to take credit for an idea that wasn't mine...... even over an eraser...... I'm just a little obsessed with sources this week...... :-P
No, it's a good thing :)
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

Talons wrote:I run. Sometimes planning works too, if the anxiety stems from not enough time.
No, it's virtually always anxiety stemming from past experiences. (Or o-chem, but that's over.)

I should really start running again, that was super helpful. But it's cold.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

Cognitive behavioral therapy. For reals.
chillygator
Board Princess

Post by chillygator »

I pace and then focus on my steps or breaths as I do it. Pilates/Yoga type things seem to help (focus on breathing and specific sets of muscles. Not must room for other thoughts). My job can also be a lot of mindless data entry which means my brain is free to obsesses and wander, usually if that happens I'll put on a TV show/movie I've seen before (so I don't have to WATCH watch it) or start listening to podcasts.

Also cry (o:
thatonemom

Post by thatonemom »

I thought of another thing... Getting enough sleep helps me a lot, too. I know that can be hard to come by, though.