Linguistics-y question I almost asked

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
Eirene
Board Writer

Linguistics-y question I almost asked

Post by Eirene »

Q: Is there an official linguistics name for words with two similar-sounding parts, like wishy-washy, namby-pamby, dilly-dally, or fuddy-duddy? Some of the ones I can think of rhyme and some have a vowel change.

A: "The repeating of parts of words to make new forms is called reduplication."
Dead Cat
Completed

Re: Linguistics-y question I almost asked

Post by Dead Cat »

So "wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey" is a double reduplication?
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Fun fact: In English reduplicative phrases that only have a vowel change, the vowel (almost?) always changes from high to low. So "wishy-washy" and "tic-tac," but not "washy-wishy" or "tac-tic."
Digit

Post by Digit »

bada-bing! :)
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

Is this related at all to the diminishing effect of replacing the first consonant of a word with "schm", such as "fancy, schmancy"? That comes from Yiddish, I believe.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Katya wrote:Fun fact: In English reduplicative phrases that only have a vowel change, the vowel (almost?) always changes from high to low. So "wishy-washy" and "tic-tac," but not "washy-wishy" or "tac-tic."
Does this come from how the sounds are produced in our mouths? (Back to front, in other words.)
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Yarjka wrote:Is this related at all to the diminishing effect of replacing the first consonant of a word with "schm", such as "fancy, schmancy"? That comes from Yiddish, I believe.
I don't know. I suppose you'd have to start by investigating the semantic effects of rhyming constructions.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Portia wrote:
Katya wrote:Fun fact: In English reduplicative phrases that only have a vowel change, the vowel (almost?) always changes from high to low. So "wishy-washy" and "tic-tac," but not "washy-wishy" or "tac-tic."
Does this come from how the sounds are produced in our mouths? (Back to front, in other words.)
No clue. I don't even know if it's a global constraint or if it's just limited to English.
The Happy Medium

Post by The Happy Medium »

The reduplicated words are also minimal pairs because they share the same phonemes except one.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

The Happy Medium wrote:The reduplicated words are also minimal pairs because they share the same phonemes except one.
Oh, minimal pairs! That's a good way of describing them.