Getting out of a hug

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
krebscout

Getting out of a hug

Post by krebscout »

How can you gracefully reject an offered hug in a social situation? Assume that there's a good reason not to hug, and that it's best not to talk about that reason with the hugger.
Tally M.

Re: Getting out of a hug

Post by Tally M. »

Begin coughing. Or sneeze. Nothing like hugging a super germy person.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

You know, I can't think of what a good reason would be (at least one that couldn't be shared with the person trying to do the hugging.)
Deus ab veritas
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

I like Tally's idea. You could hurriedly say "I'm sick!" when they come in for a hug. You could also say that you got a bad sunburn- I know it sounds silly, but my housing complex has a year-round hot tub, and with the warmer weather, sunbathers are coming out..... ?
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

you can always pull an awkward hug! (it involves sticking your arms straight out like a robot.)

when I'm sick I ask people to touch elbows with me instead of shaking my hand (ever since I saw it in an Ebola documentary). Maybe you can think of a similar substitute for a hug?
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

Whistler wrote:you can always pull an awkward hug! (it involves sticking your arms straight out like a robot.)
Please, this. Robot hugs and high fives are the way to go.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

If you're into doing awkward hugs, and that solves the problem, you could always just hug with the shoulder forward, instead of the chest. That's always super awkward.
Deus ab veritas
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Marduk wrote:you could always just hug with the shoulder forward, instead of the chest. That's always super awkward.
I can verify that (1) this is awkward, (2) it makes people wary of hugging you. Source: I do it often. :)
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

Ever since my mom had a kidney transplant she tries to not touch people. It oftens involves her waving her hand at people at church instead of shaking hands with them.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

You can do a temporary fix by saying "oh, not today, thanks. I'm just not feeling too huggy."
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

I find that the easiest thing is to avoid it by giving potentially huggy types a wide berth. You can still be friendly, but most people won't try to hug you if you're holding a conversation from two feet away, with a table in between you, etc.
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

I generally just give them a strange look and stick out my hand. I'm not a big touchy person at all. It's going to be very hard for both of us if my future wife has touch as her main love language.
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

I have such a hard time not giving people hugs. I have a friend that i've known since third grade- we hung out together a lot, but I never really felt that close to her. I never put it together until now, but do you guys think that it might be because she actively avoids hugs? At least we both are quality time-ers, I think, but....... Any thoughts?
Digit

Post by Digit »

This'll do the trick:
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Squirrel wrote:I have such a hard time not giving people hugs. I have a friend that i've known since third grade- we hung out together a lot, but I never really felt that close to her. I never put it together until now, but do you guys think that it might be because she actively avoids hugs? At least we both are quality time-ers, I think, but....... Any thoughts?
Well, knowing someone for a long period of time isn't a guarantee that you'll become close friends, regardless of your individual hugging preferences. But next time you two hang out, you might try taking your hugging cues from her.
chillygator
Board Princess

Post by chillygator »

My friend had a guy try to kiss her and she didn't know how to handle it, so she put her two pointer fingers up like horns, said, "I'm a bull!" and rammed her "horned" head into his chest. That's one way to discourage touching.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

chillygator wrote:My friend had a guy try to kiss her and she didn't know how to handle it, so she put her two pointer fingers up like horns, said, "I'm a bull!" and rammed her "horned" head into his chest. That's one way to discourage touching.
That's probably my favorite method so far.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

chillygator wrote:My friend had a guy try to kiss her and she didn't know how to handle it, so she put her two pointer fingers up like horns, said, "I'm a bull!" and rammed her "horned" head into his chest. That's one way to discourage touching.
Unless of course the person you're interacting with likes silly gestures of affection.
Deus ab veritas
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

NO TOUCHING
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

MORE TOUCHING!