Flossing

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Talons

Flossing

Post by Talons »

I used to be an occasional flosser until I had to get a root canal and crown. Not only was the whole process painful and incredibly long, but it cost me over $1000. It all would have been prevented if I had just flossed. Gimgimno is 100% correct in his answer. It doesn't take a lot of time and is painless. Learn to floss correctly and do it. Trust me, it's so much more fun than a root canal.
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Re: Flossing

Post by Genuine Article »

I've had three root canals and I don't think they're all that bad, except for the price.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

Talons wrote:Learn to floss correctly...
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 7946_n.jpg
Talons

Post by Talons »

Genuine Article wrote:I've had three root canals and I don't think they're all that bad, except for the price.
Maybe I went to the wrong dentist then. I had several injections for the pain that didn't help much, and just the feeling of a drill being that far up your tooth for three hours is unsettling.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I have such terrible teeth that even with flossing and brushing I've had a root canal at three crowns. So I feel your pain!
The Happy Medium

Post by The Happy Medium »

Wow, that sounds awful! My root canal only took about 45 minutes and it didn't hurt at all. And the crown feels pretty nice because it's so smooth-if they were cheaper I wouldn't mind having crowns on all my teeth.
Genuine Article
Board Writer

I'm jealous. I've never been able to afford crowns. Having crowns on my root canals is my version of the American dream.
Talons

Post by Talons »

Whistler wrote:I have such terrible teeth that even with flossing and brushing I've had a root canal at three crowns. So I feel your pain!
I can't imagine what your teeth would be like if you weren't a regular flosser/brusher. You might have some seriously bad genes or microbes.
Genuine Article wrote:I'm jealous. I've never been able to afford crowns. Having crowns on my root canals is my version of the American dream.
I really didn't want to get a crown until I learned that root canals kill your teeth and make them prone to cracking. If you get a crack it might end up going to the roots, in which case you'd have to get the tooth extracted.
Genuine Article
Board Writer

I really didn't want to get a crown until I learned that root canals kill your teeth and make them prone to cracking. If you get a crack it might end up going to the roots, in which case you'd have to get the tooth extracted.
At this point in time I simply have to chance it, because there's just no way I can spend $3600 on my teeth. I actually had one of my very back teeth extracted, which wasn't so bad, but you're right, it would suck to lose any of my other root canal teeth because they're much more visible. And I already don't have any lateral incisors (the teeth on either side of my front teeth) because I have hypodontia. There isn't much of a gap, but having my canines next to my front teeth throws people off because they can't quite put their finger on what's wrong-looking about my teeth. Basically I have really crappy teeth and I'm not hopeful that they're going to last me until the end of my life at the rate they're pooping out on me. Sigh.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Just make sure you get rich, then you can get implants.
Deus ab veritas
S.A.M.

Post by S.A.M. »

Marduk wrote:Just make sure you get rich, then you can get implants.
You're talking about teeth, right?
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

Bridges last longer and are more stable. Also, CHEAPER. Just sayin'.
Portia

Post by Portia »

S.A.M. wrote:
+1
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

Portia wrote:
S.A.M. wrote:
+1
ugh. I just got that. -100,000,000. and NO.
thatonemom

Post by thatonemom »

A lot of places have reduced price dental clinics, if it was ever something you wanted/had a little money for. There's a half price dental clinic just west of the Orem Walmart for anyone who's local. I had a cavity filled there once when I didn't have dental insurance and it was fine. The dentist sang along with radio while he worked on my tooth, which was awkward. But the filling's still holding up. :)
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

I floss every day. Seriously. When I came home from my mission, my goal was to have the hygenists say "it's been two years since you've seen a dentist?!?!" Mission accomplished. My gums are perfect.