Use-mention distinction

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!

How do/would you prefer to identify a mention in writing?

Double quotation marks ("This" is a four-letter word.)
59%
Single quotation marks ('This' is a four-letter word.)
6%
Italics (This is a four-letter word.)
35%
Other (please specify)
No votes

Total votes: 17

Digit

Use-mention distinction

Post by Digit »

I haven't found any official statement from style manuals (though I'm sure my saying of that has instantaneously retroactively brought official statements into existence and promoted their page ranks).
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Squirrel
Board Writer

Re: Use-mention distinction

Post by Squirrel »

Are you talking about four-letter words, or quotes/referencing? I need a little help here. :-)
Digit

Post by Digit »

I tried to give an example of what each option was in case identifying a mention made less than full sense. You could replace with (X is a(n) X.)
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

I voted for double quotes, but I would only use them if you're going to be using them relatively rarely. If you're going to have tons of mentions in your writing (e.g., if you're writing a paper in English about English etymology), I'd probably go with italics as being less "busy." (But for a single use or infrequent uses, I'd worry that italics might be mistaken for emphasis.)
Last edited by Katya on Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

Digit wrote:I tried to give an example of what each option was in case identifying a mention made less than full sense. You could replace with (X is a(n) X.)
OHHH! * FACEPALM*
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Squirrel, i had no idea either :/
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

I'm still confused.
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

If you're explicitly calling out a word in typed text (like, say, the word carpet), do you put it in italics, like I just did? Or would you say that the word should be in double quotes, or single quotes, or something else? That's what the examples in the poll are trying to show, too. :)
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

Katya wrote:I voted for double quotes, but I would only use them if you're going to be using them relatively rarely. If you're going to have tons of mentions in your writing (e.g., if you're writing a paper in English about English etymology), I'd probably go with italics as being less "busy." (But for a single use or infrequent uses, I'd worry that italics might be mistaken for emphasis.)
+1