Wedding registry

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Wedding registry

Post by Emiliana »

What should I put on my wedding registry that I probably haven't thought of yet?
Portia

Re: Wedding registry

Post by Portia »

Asking a bunch of Mormons is highly amusing. Do you live together already? (That makes the second time I've asked this question this week.)
chillygator
Board Princess

Post by chillygator »

I think the real question here is, what have you already thought of?
S.A.M.

Post by S.A.M. »

lawn mower
fire extinguishers (at least two - one in the kitchen, one in the garage)
emergency flashlights
some 10 gallon buckets (useful for so many things!)
Digit

Post by Digit »

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
chillygator
Board Princess

Post by chillygator »

Whistler

Post by Whistler »

getting nice towels from BBB was one of the best things on my registry. Well, except now whenever we go to a hotel we're like "our towels are better..."

daily luxury for a flat fee!
Eirene
Board Writer

Post by Eirene »

We put some board games and party games on our registry, and they were pretty much the first things to go. And then people kept commenting how they were sad that someone else had bought us the games first. I think people like to feel like they're giving you something fun!
Emiliana

Post by Emiliana »

Portia wrote:Asking a bunch of Mormons is highly amusing. Do you live together already? (That makes the second time I've asked this question this week.)
Wait, why is this amusing? I was going to ask if Mormons don't do registries, but then I saw people referencing their registries below, so now I'm just confused. Also, yes, we do live together, although most of my family doesn't really know that.
Emiliana

Post by Emiliana »

Thanks for the suggestions!
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Eirene wrote:We put some board games and party games on our registry, and they were pretty much the first things to go. And then people kept commenting how they were sad that someone else had bought us the games first. I think people like to feel like they're giving you something fun!
Yes! And plus who doesn't want to *receive* something fun? :)

For less fun things, I'm glad we got a rice cooker, non-stick skillets, tupperware... stereotypical things like that. Nice towels are nice. Oh, a GPS was REALLY nice.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Emiliana wrote:
Portia wrote:Asking a bunch of Mormons is highly amusing. Do you live together already? (That makes the second time I've asked this question this week.)
Wait, why is this amusing? I was going to ask if Mormons don't do registries, but then I saw people referencing their registries below, so now I'm just confused. Also, yes, we do live together, although most of my family doesn't really know that.
We may do registries, but like with most things wedding-related, we do it poorly, in my opinion. I've seen people register at Walmart.

Also, if you live together, you may already have a bed/blender/espresso machine which people who don't, don't.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Portia wrote:. . . you may already have a bed/blender/espresso machine . . .
I was picturing this as one single contraption. :shock:
Portia

Post by Portia »

Katya wrote:
I'd never leave!!!
Emiliana

Post by Emiliana »

Portia wrote:
Katya wrote:
I'd never leave!!!
*giggle* Just throw in a computer with Netflix and I'd be happy, too!

Also, I ... don't find registering at WalMart all that shocking? I come from a tradition that tends towards very simple weddings, though (silk flowers, no live bands or DJs, no sit-down dinners, and alcohol and dancing are right out!), so maybe that's why.

Also also, we do already have a lot of the basics covered. (This is mostly because my grandparents moved in with my uncle last summer and gave me a crapload of their stuff (including a bed and a blender, but they kept the espresso machine...) rather than because we're living together.) The woman who's hosting my shower actually emailed me a couple of days ago suggesting that I register for more things so that people will have enough to choose from...
thatonemom

Post by thatonemom »

I always like it when people register for a lot of things because it makes it easier to shop! Not every store carries the exact same things, and if I'm not at the particular store they registered at sometimes they don't have what I wanted to buy.

Anyway, we really liked the pots and pans, picture frames, photo albums, and towels we got. You can never have enough towels. We got a lot of board games, too, but have used maybe half of them. :(

I second the practical stuff like flashlights, fire extinguishers, even light bulbs or batteries. If for no other reason than that you usually get a discount on all the unpurchased stuff from your registry. No one is going to buy you batteries. But then the next time you need them you get 10% or 15% off.
Eirene
Board Writer

Post by Eirene »

Yeah, definitely make sure you have enough items to choose from, and at a variety of price points (from under $10 to $100+). It's okay if you end up registering for some things you're not entirely convinced you need; you end up returning a lot of things for store credit anyway. It's really fun to have a couple hundred dollars of store credit places, because you CAN'T be frugal and put it into savings, your only option is to buy lamps that match and a silverware drawer divider and a popcorn popper, so you get to buy a lot of fun stuff with no budget guilt.
Emiliana

Post by Emiliana »

thatonemom wrote:No one is going to buy you batteries.
But ... but ... I actually NEED batteries!
Digit

Post by Digit »

I hope you don't waste your money on non-rechargeables.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

Even though you live together, you can upgrade stuff you already have. If I get married, I assume my intended and I will have double of everything (I live alone, so I have stuff). But, this is a great chance to get rid of crappy towels or the comforter you don't really like and get nice new things to start your life together.
beautiful, dirty, rich