makeup poll - women

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.

how much and how often do you wear makeup?

Au naturel.
8%
Very rare, but I will do it for special occasions.
38%
Maybe a sweep of mascara and/or lipgloss.
19%
Moderate makeup: liner, eyeshadow, lipstick.
35%
I'm madeup like a Golden Age of Film starlet.
No votes

Total votes: 26

Portia

makeup poll - women

Post by Portia »

Inspired by the question about the guy's makeup "test." I noticed that women in the Northwest wear a lot less makeup than Utah women, on average.

(And before Marduk jumps in here, I'm interested in the women.)
Last edited by Portia on Sun May 26, 2013 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
krebscout

Re: makeup poll - women

Post by krebscout »

I wasn't sure which category I fell into: I used to wear none, but now that my hair is light blond I wear mascara almost every day. So I picked the second. Lipgloss never. Blech.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

I wear mascara and coverup (for my annoyingly genetic dark circles under my eyes, and even coverup doesn't always work) every day--an ingrained habit from my high school days when my mom wouldn't let me leave the house without at least those. I wear lipgloss on Sundays when I'm feeling dressy...and I own eyeshadow and eyeliner but rarely (re: never) wear it.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I don't think I've worn any makeup for the past 2+ years, not even when I was performing in choir concerts. I never got into the habit of doing makeup, plus I was kinda bad at it, plus it was something I always hated spending money on, so when Marduk told me he preferred au natural I was happy to get rid of it all.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Violet

Post by Violet »

Somewhere in between option 3 and 4? I'm often a sunscreen and mascara and go girl (copperboom!), but I'll put on as much as I can in the time I have. Overall, my made-up face stands around the moderate
Random
Squirrels and Goats

Post by Random »

I'm a theater major with an emphasis in design, so sometimes I spend more that 3 hours putting on makeup... But since that's for a class I didn't count it (and because there wasn't an option for latex!).

I used to not wear it at all, but every once in a while I have a month or so where I'll use mascara and eyeshadow everyday. Then I go back to not using it again.
To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. -Joseph Chilton Pearce
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

Violet wrote:copperboom!
Nice to see another fan on here.
UnluckyStuntman

Post by UnluckyStuntman »

I picked the moderate option, though I don't wear lipstick/gloss (gross) or eyeshadow. I'm an eyeliner and brow powder kind of a girl, but that's it. So I guess that's moderate?
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

I picked the second, although I'm kind of between the second and third. I wear a bit of powder maybe once a week, but other than that it's just special occasions.
Owlet
Board Writer

Post by Owlet »

I'm not sure what to choose because in the fall I'm a 4, in winter I'm 3, and in the summer I'm 2. It just depends on how much time I have/how artsy I feel/how likely I am to meet someone who cares.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

So much hating on lip gloss! That was one of my favorite parts of makeup.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

I don't like lipgloss because it feels suffocating. (I've noticed a similar sensation when I paint my fingernails.) I like lipstick just fine, though.
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

I hate nail polish, too.
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

I once made a New Year's resolution to wear more eye makeup.
Random
Squirrels and Goats

Post by Random »

I've never really liked lip gloss, it made my lips feel all sticky and weird. Chapstick, on the other hand, is pretty awesome. I don't like the flavored ones, though, because I unconsciously lick it off of my lips, which kinda defeats the purpose of chapstick.
To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. -Joseph Chilton Pearce
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

I like makeup and used to wear it more often, but at the moment it cuts into my precious sleeping time and lately I've been spending most days wearing gross OR scrubs and those stupid surgical hats anyway so I sometimes I don't even do my hair for days at a time.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

I go through phases, which it sounds like is somewhat normal. My mom didn't wear makeup very often when I was growing up, I don't have sisters, and so I never really learned how. Nowadays I know the basics of foundation/concealer (I think), and just wear it sometimes if I'm in a really good mood and want to look nice. Most of the time, I don't care. I used to wear mascara sometimes, but not in a year probably. *shrug* Especially after moving to a very liberal city where women seem to wear less makeup, it just seems less and less important.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Well, apparently my levels were not normal, but it's my poll.

Considering how high-maintenance I am otherwise (at least a 7/10, ha), I am glad to see that I am pretty chill on this point. My mom never wore makeup, ever. I can go days without it, and sometimes wear eye makeup. What Mico said about liberal cities is very true. I think Utah girls have a tendency to overdo eyeliner.

I'd be interested to read any research about locales with strict gender role expectations and whether getting "done up" is part of that. (I wear a lot of jewelry, have 5 times the bras of the norm, but am still a liberal feminist. I guess it's not 1971 anymore, so I hope I'm in the club.)

But I love nail polish! And yes, I have about 30 colors ... I must be OCD about colors or something!
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I don't wear much makeup, and I feel like kids of moms who wear makeup all the time sometimes mistake me for a guy because of they're used to woman=makeup. Just a theory though.
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

I don't leave the house without mascara, since I have blonde/invisible eyelashes and I get tired of hearing "oh, are you sick? You look so tired!" But I don't often wear more than that.