toxic mushrooms as organic poison

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
Whistler

toxic mushrooms as organic poison

Post by Whistler »

There are some poisonous mushrooms that can kill humans and cats and dogs. I was surprised to find that this hasn't been taken advantage of, grown and marketed as organic rat poison.
Squirrel
Board Writer

Re: toxic mushrooms as organic poison

Post by Squirrel »

Probably because if it was widely publicized, then people would be making their own, and if you wanted to sell it, you can't patent an already existing mushroom- unless you selectively bred the mushroom. And then it would be silly for them to patent a mushroom when there are so many lethal varieties already in existence.... It is a really good idea, though, just not a financially-stable investment.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

haha :-)

I guess another issue is that with snap-traps, the mouse is dead and you don't have to worry about disposing of hazardous waste.
Violet

Post by Violet »

Also, would evolutionary biology suggest that as they've both existed in the same space long enough, the rodents would have learned not to eat the mushrooms?
Portia

Post by Portia »

I think you should write a scholarly article with this as its subtitle. On lit theory, to be clear, not fungus biology, heavens.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Mycophiles, lepidopterists, and ecologists: the scientific legacy of several modernist authors