panhandlers

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Portia

panhandlers

Post by Portia »

I fall somewhere in between the responses as written. Although I certainly encourage charity, I think it's important to remember that as a young, short, not-that-strong woman, I often feel rather harassed around the Gateway area. If they ask, then whatever, but I don't like when they get aggressive. Seattle panhandlers are THE WORST, though.

I think that giving food or buying them a TRAX pass is better than cash, if that's your inclination.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Re: panhandlers

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

This is an issue that frequently makes me feel conflicted and ridiculous. Ridiculous because I'm still embarrassed that on a high school trip to Temple Square I told a friend not to give to a panhandler because "he should just go get a job." Conflicted because, while my previous attitude is judge-y and wrong, and there are many people who legitimately need help and have been forced on the streets because of their inability to get it, there are also people who take advantage of the kindness of those who frequent TS.

Generally, though, I'd much rather run the risk of giving to someone who was out there due to laziness or whatever than not give to someone who legitimately needed help.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Portia

Post by Portia »

bobtheenchantedone wrote:This is an issue that frequently makes me feel conflicted and ridiculous. Ridiculous because I'm still embarrassed that on a high school trip to Temple Square I told a friend not to give to a panhandler because "he should just go get a job." Conflicted because, while my previous attitude is judge-y and wrong, and there are many people who legitimately need help and have been forced on the streets because of their inability to get it, there are also people who take advantage of the kindness of those who frequent TS.

Generally, though, I'd much rather run the risk of giving to someone who was out there due to laziness or whatever than not give to someone who legitimately needed help.
What should women, especially, do to protect themselves? I'm not hysterical on this point (as to the recent answer about walking alone at night in Provo, yeah, I've done that a ton and felt fine), but still, sometimes it's downright creepy, and I'd rather not get pickpocketed, you know?
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I'm a little ashamed to admit this but I pretty much only give money to panhandlers if I am in a car. Between being a woman who knows she can't defend herself and my occasionally severe social anxiety, I avoid panhandlers when I'm on foot (and/or hide behind Marduk).
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

I was surprised that nobody mentioned that there *are* places where panhandling is illegal. That's why you generally see panhandlers in the same spot/close by each other. Also where I'm living now has pretty sizeable and consistent homeless population, one which is well known for making a good amount of money from doing so. Not only that, but we have a fairly nice homeless shelter so... what to do? I think the best thing is something I read online once which is to tell the people "hey, there is a homeless shelter/soup kitchen at ADDRESS, they will help you." Or give food, food is always useful.

As for myself, I probably give a few dollars every few months to panhandlers. I just... can't help it. I feel really bad, and even though I know they are probably not doing horribly, I still know that I have extra money and may as well give it directly to somebody who is in some need. If I'm walking or there isn't traffic and I'm in my car, I like to talk to the homeless folks. I once found out about a man's family, and another time I bonded with a man about how good Taco Bell is (you can get dirt cheap tacos with a lot of calories! homeless people love it).

I've never been out alone at night and approached by a panhandler, but I imagine if I did I'd walk away real fast. :/ In the day time there are usually enough people around that I'm not worried about it.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Once my husband and I went grocery shopping for a homeless guy. When we got back to give him the food (he insisted on staying where he was to meet some friends) he was completely drunk. Some problems aren't going to be solved by simple material goods.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Whistler wrote:Once my husband and I went grocery shopping for a homeless guy. When we got back to give him the food (he insisted on staying where he was to meet some friends) he was completely drunk. Some problems aren't going to be solved by simple material goods.
What can you do? It is so hard to know what to do. That was kind of you guys to go grocery shopping for him, and you couldn't know what to do ahead of time. If he's going to get drunk, he is going to get drunk. Is that better or worse than just being hungry/without shelter and not drunk? I don't know. :/
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

I've made it a personal policy to always give if I have anything, and I have my children help me give if I deem it safe (though, due to more than one public safety warning about various illnesses among the homeless in the LA area, we always use hand sanitizer if there's skin contact). I keep a case of juice-boxes in my car and a couple of dollar bills in my glove compartment just for this purpose. There's one guy in particular that is usually on a corner on my way to church, and I've told Sauron before that if I saw him on my way to church every week and didn't give, I'd feel like a hypocrite. My dad would say that that's all it is, giving a dollar that you know won't help much just to make yourself feel better, and that's probably true, but oh well. I want me and my kids to give freely, whether or not the money may go to causes we would think unworthy.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

When I'm driving and I see people asking for money, my personal solution is to go home and make a donation to my local food bank. That way I feel like I'm responding to the need (albeit very indirectly), and I trust that the money is going to a good place. I don't often see panhandlers when I'm on foot, though, so I don't have a good solution to offer for that particular dilemma.
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

There are homeless people on every corner here, and when I start to feel guilty about not giving anything to them I remind myself that as the unemployed wife of a grad student I have no income. They may be out begging, but I'm betting they don't have student loan debt, and since some people do give to them, they technically make more money than I do. Maybe that's just me rationalizing being uncharitable, but it's how I handle things.
Rifka

Post by Rifka »

I just came across this article, which I think is a great idea for dealing with panhandlers:

http://www.billionclicks.org/blog/2013- ... ing-helps/