Do acne scars hurt?

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
C is for
um Administrator

Do acne scars hurt?

Post by C is for »

I had a thought yesterday that maybe I should see a dermatologist about this issue, but before I go that far I decided to ask you guys, since my experience in this arena is woefully low.

So, back in February I had a huge, enormous pimple on my forehead. It eventually went away -- mostly. There was still a little black dot from where I'd popped it (don't judge) but that wasn't so bad. I tried to get rid of it all the time but it didn't hurt or anything.

But then the pimple came back. Same place, still huge. Painful in the way such things are. It got popped and I squeezed it whenever I thought it needed it. (Wait. This is kind of gross. Sorry.) That was back in May.

Now all that is left is a red bump (with two holes), clearly not full of pus anymore. I'd think it was an acne scar except it still sometimes hurts to the touch. When I'm washing my face or furrowing my brow I feel it. It's hard to describe the pain (like a pinprick maybe?).

But see I've never had an acne scar before. Is this typical? The continued bump, the sensitivity to touch, etc.

I'm starting to think after 3-4 months of it clearly not being a normal pimple anymore and still hurting that it's time to get a doctor to look at it.
wryness

Re: Do acne scars hurt?

Post by wryness »

Web MD says to consult a doctor if you develop scars or marks after acne heals. (http://tinyurl.com/lfhu4gy) It sounds like you have something more serious than that, so you should definitely consult a doctor/dermatologist. The soreness could be indicative of some kind of remaining infection. I don't think anything should hurt for that long.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

hmm, yeah, is it some kind of boil? I had a ton of acne as a teenager and still get a bit every month, but it doesn't hurt after it goes away.
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

I went to the dermatologist. He said it was just a recurring cyst and will go away at some point or something. Then he did a mole check. Not awkward.