Academic Grievance

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
Violet

Academic Grievance

Post by Violet »

Has anyone ever filed an academic grievance? Or do you know someone who has? What was the experience like?

I'm currently dealing with a person who graded my work who has said to me in an email that they graded differently than what was on the syllabus. Because of that difference, I'm getting a lower final grade. I've pulled together the documentation, and written a letter for the department chair according to the academic grievance policy, but now I'm wondering what to expect once I hand it all over some time next week (I'm trying to give the person who graded my work time to change it herself now that I've pointed it out and asked for the change).
Whistler

Re: Academic Grievance

Post by Whistler »

I've never filed an academic grievance, but documenting everything like you have sounds like just the right thing. Also, by allowing your grader time to change what they've done, you're proving that you're doing it for fairness, not because you hate the grader.
Violet

Post by Violet »

Gratefully, I didn't have to go through the process and calling her out on the difference was enough, despite the fact it seemed like a power struggle was imminent. As of this morning, my degree is posted and the grade has changed.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Violet wrote:Gratefully, I didn't have to go through the process and calling her out on the difference was enough, despite the fact it seemed like a power struggle was imminent. As of this morning, my degree is posted and the grade has changed.
:-)