Sunday Rules

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Sunday Rules

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/74304/

I've been thinking about this lately in the context of what rules I still follow despite what other changes have occurred in my life.

-I still feel a little weird watching something that isn't a "Sunday movie" (and sometimes have an odd yearning to watch The Ten Commandments, which we watched every Sunday for about a year before my parents got tired of it)
-I still dress up no matter where I am, even the Sundays I'm at dog shows
-Unless I'm at a dog show or under a very important deadline, I don't work (and even at the shows I'll spend my downtime playing games/reading/knitting instead of working)
-I usually listen to more uplifting music (not necessarily "church" music, but I'm more likely to choose Sarah Mclachlan over, for example, Tori Amos)

It's been interesting to see how my parents have changed as well. They were fairly strict when I was younger, but now the main rule seems to be "don't make much noise." The yearly camping trip to Mirror Lake usually concludes on a Sunday, and while they packed up Saturday night for the first couple of years they now usually stay over until Sunday with the rest of the family.

Or maybe it's not that interesting since it seems that everyone's parents got more lax about Sunday activities as they got older.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Portia

Re: Sunday Rules

Post by Portia »

Dang, my parents were so laissez-faire! Not spending money. Go to church. That's it.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

We had rules that we couldn't have friends over or play videogames or watch cartoons on Sunday. I remember after I came to college and I played card games with some cousins on a Sunday night, I felt downright rebellious.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

Basically our only Sunday rule was go to church, unless you don't want to.
Talons

Post by Talons »

I feel like my mom wanted to be strict, but could never enforce any rules. Shopping was a definite no no, but everything else seemed to be OK even if discouraged. My wife and I both have fond memories of watching the Simpsons with our dads on Sunday.
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

Our Sunday rules shifted every few years. We went through stretches where there was no tv and only classical music, and then other stretches where everything was allowed.

I had a friend who wasn't allowed to do homework on Sunday. That's rough.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

My family didn't do homework on Sundays. I still don't. Because then I don't have to worry about it for that day.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

I was technically allowed to do homework on Sunday, but one time my dad presented me with food for thought that made me choose to not do homework on Sunday and I never did again. I agree with Tally. It's nice to not have to worry about it for one day.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Though it was never a rule at our house, I generally didn't do homework on Sundays. I do now. Several of my classes require daily practice, plus also I just don't get everything done during the week.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

I generally avoid doing work on Sundays.

However, sometimes I'm struck by some sort of epiphany for a piece I'm working on, or an insight on a paper. I've learned from experience that these sorts of things can't wait. If I can't get to my computer fairly quickly, they are gone. I've even tried simply writing notes to myself to try and jog the memory of what I was thinking. This doesn't work either. In these moments, I make exceptions.
Deus ab veritas