Smart phone recommendations

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Smart phone recommendations

Post by Katya »

Friends, the time has come for me to upgrade to a smartphone, and I need recommendations. I'm upgrading because I need a phone that's easier to text on and I'd like one with a GPS (although I assume that's pretty much standard, now) and I don't really care about much else. My brother suggested an iPhone so it would play nice with iTunes, which would be nice, but I'm not that excited overall about getting an iPhone, for some reason, so I'd like other suggestions or feedback, as well.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Re: Smart phone recommendations

Post by NerdGirl »

I like my iPhone, but the main reason I went with an iPhone was because of medical apps. Some of my friends have Androids, and the whole operating system just seems a bit nicer and the screen is bigger, and I think if it weren't for the medical apps, I would maybe get an Android. I don't like Blackberries because all the ones I've seen were weird to type on. But I've never actually owned anything other than my iPhone, so all I can really tell you is to check out Androids because they seem nice.
Portia

Post by Portia »

I had a Thunderbolt. I really liked it. (The first 4G Android phone)

I have a Nokia Windows phone, and I like it, too. The interface is probably even a bit sleeker than my old phone, and it integrates well with work, but the camera isn't the best (for me, anyway). The Android store is bigger, but I use about 5 apps 95% of the time. Do your friends and family mostly have one system?
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Portia wrote:Do your friends and family mostly have one system?
My brother has an iPhone provided by his job. Neither of my parents has a smart phone and I don't know what most of my friends have (except I think my last roommate now has an iPhone).
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

I got some Android phone that was cheap and refurbished from Ting.

And that's what I recommend: Ting, not the phone. Because I like Ting and it's simple and straightforward and also they have cheap refurbished smart phones you can buy that have texting and gps.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Portia wrote:I had a Thunderbolt. I really liked it. (The first 4G Android phone)

I have a Nokia Windows phone, and I like it, too. The interface is probably even a bit sleeker than my old phone, and it integrates well with work, but the camera isn't the best (for me, anyway). The Android store is bigger, but I use about 5 apps 95% of the time. Do your friends and family mostly have one system?
Your a Windows Phoner?!?! ME TOO!!!

But seriously. This is my favorite topic ever. If all you want is a GPS and a phone that's easy to text on, but you don't want an iPhone, there's a couple good Androids that are out right now/just came out that are supposed to be really good.

But a plug for Windows Phone: I was an original Android fanboy (used it for a couple years). I've also used Blackberry for a couple years, and had an iPod touch (~iPhone) for several years. Windows Phone is by far my favorite, if only because of the lack of lag. Every other device I've owned has started to lag after about 4 months, and my Windows Phone hasn't, and it's going on 7 months in a week or two.

Anyway, more than you wanted. But which carrier are you on? Or preferences for carrier? I can give you recommendations specifically by carrier if you let me know (or you could just message me on FB, because no one probably wants to hear my phone diatribe anyway).
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Another plug for Ting! My phone was $90 and my monthly payment is between $17 and $28 (which is less than I was paying for my previous phone for just text and minutes).
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

I switched from iPhone to Android, and I HATE IT! I hate this stupid phone, and I can't wait to get my paycheck bonus in November so that I can get the iPhone 5S.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Ting is wonderful for low prices. I mostly love my Samsung Android phone, but the thing I hate is that I can't transfer apps to the SD card, so I have a huge amount of space on my SD card but not enough on my phone memory (my biggest app is my dictionary app, which is only like 300 mbs). Supposedly there's a workaround if you can root your phone, but I tried rooting it once and I failed, so I gave up.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:Anyway, more than you wanted. But which carrier are you on? Or preferences for carrier? I can give you recommendations specifically by carrier if you let me know (or you could just message me on FB, because no one probably wants to hear my phone diatribe anyway).
I'm currently on T-Mobile, which isn't ideal, but I need to stay on it for the foreseeable future. Do you have T-Mobile-based recommendations?
Giovanni Schwartz

Well, if you don't want an iPhone (and I don't blame you), then I would say:

1) HTC One--Recently voted by BGN.com as the best Android phone. HTC is also struggling, despite churning out some GREAT devices, so I nominate that you support them.
2) Samsung Galaxy S4--the second place in that same contest. Samsung is the top Android manufacturer on the planet, and with good reason. They have some great devices with great (albeit occasionally gimmicky) features.
3) Samsung Galaxy Note 3--If you want a GIANT screen, you can't go wrong with this phone. It just recently came out, and by all accounts is a good phone. Just kidding. It comes out tomorrow, so you'll be on the cutting edge.
4) Nexus 4--This phone is a great piece of equipment. If you get it, I recommend you buy it through Google's website (play.google.com) instead of T-Mobile. It will probably be cheaper, and you'll have better support, as well as the option to change carriers while keeping the phone later, because it's sold unlocked.

Unfortunately, T-Mobile doesn't have any Windows Phones right now, otherwise I'd still be pimping them out. Another option for even cheaper would be the Samsung Galaxy S3 or Galaxy Note 2. They're both a little older, so support wouldn't be quite as good, but they're both solid options. However, I would recommend Nexus 4 as a cheap option before either of them.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:Well, if you don't want an iPhone (and I don't blame you), then I would say:

1) HTC One--Recently voted by BGN.com as the best Android phone. HTC is also struggling, despite churning out some GREAT devices, so I nominate that you support them.
2) Samsung Galaxy S4--the second place in that same contest. Samsung is the top Android manufacturer on the planet, and with good reason. They have some great devices with great (albeit occasionally gimmicky) features.
3) Samsung Galaxy Note 3--If you want a GIANT screen, you can't go wrong with this phone. It just recently came out, and by all accounts is a good phone. Just kidding. It comes out tomorrow, so you'll be on the cutting edge.
4) Nexus 4--This phone is a great piece of equipment. If you get it, I recommend you buy it through Google's website (play.google.com) instead of T-Mobile. It will probably be cheaper, and you'll have better support, as well as the option to change carriers while keeping the phone later, because it's sold unlocked.

Unfortunately, T-Mobile doesn't have any Windows Phones right now, otherwise I'd still be pimping them out. Another option for even cheaper would be the Samsung Galaxy S3 or Galaxy Note 2. They're both a little older, so support wouldn't be quite as good, but they're both solid options. However, I would recommend Nexus 4 as a cheap option before either of them.
I second these recommendations. I especially like the idea of buying it through Google's play store. I LOVE my Google chromebook, which was my Christmas present.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Seconded on HTC; I've had my HTC phone for over a year (maybe two years, I don't honestly remember), and it's been great.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

I would vote for an iPhone, but I'm sure this surprises no one. I like that all phones get all the upgrades*. (Many new Android phones don't even run their newest OS.) I like that since there is really only one design for phone** it's easy to design apps that work on all phones. Android (and I assume Windows) have so many different phones that it's hard for programmers to make them work with everything. I like that because iPhones are all the same (so long as they are kept updated) that I can do tech support with anyone running an iPhone. When friends ask for help on their Androids I always have to fumble around with them for awhile to figure out how the heck their phone works. And if it's from a distance, I can only make general suggestions. "See if you can find a Settings button somewhere and see if there is anything in there that looks like it will help your problem."

Most of my family and many of my friends are on iPhone, which is great for me (though perhaps not as much for you). I text for free, even when they're abroad. My brother spent much of the summer in England and he kept it on Airplane Mode to keep from incurring international charges. But whenever he got Wi-Fi he would get all of my messages. Many of the games I play are iOS only. I love Find My Friends (though I hear there are similar Android apps) which lets me see where any of my family (who have given me permission) are at any given moment. I used it a lot more when Yellow commuted and Dragon Baby and I would watch him come home. (She has a much better grasp of maps than most kids her age, methinks.) Or when I'm meeting my brother somewhere, I just look him up on Find My Friends, open that in Maps, then ask Siri to give me directions and she walks me straight to him, step by step.

It is really nice to have it sync seamlessly with iTunes. I don't have much experience with others, but I have a friend with an Android who uses the Amazon player and is constantly having troubles with it. She doesn't even like iTunes all that much, but often complains that she'd much rather have iTunes syncing than Amazon's player.

Also, the new 5S has a fingerprint reader to use for your password! Some Androids have that, true, but so far as I know (and what Yellow told me recently), iPhone is the only one that is completely secure. I'm actually super excited for February when I'm available for an upgrade, specifically for that feature. I'm even more excited for my parents to upgrade to that feature. Their memory for passwords is *horrible*. But they won't forget their fingerprint!

*Note: the oldest iPhones won't update to the newest iOS, but I think that's to be expected. It makes it really hard to make good software when you have to make everything backwards compatible for EVERYTHING. One reason I don't like Windows (the computer), actually.
** Ok, now two since the 5 is taller than the 4. But still. Only two designs.
Last edited by Dragon Lady on Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Portia

Post by Portia »

You drop an iPhone in the toilet, it's gone for good. Any other phone, take the battery out, let the components dry, put it in a bag of rice, and you have a hope. Priceless.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

I've dropped my iPod Touch in the toilet. Twice. The first time I dried it in rice and it was fine. The second time it took out my backlight. They replaced it for free. I put Apple Care on all of my devices, because I know how klutzy I am.
The new AppleCare covers accidental damage… including water damage.
Portia

Post by Portia »

I like the Amazon music player, although I use Pandora far more often, and physical music is better. (Vinyl would be ideal.)

You either love Apple devices, or you don't, and not being an Apple person, I have no use for an iPhone. And they're so expensive!
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Portia wrote:You either love Apple devices, or you don't, and not being an Apple person, I have no use for an iPhone. And they're so expensive!
Yep. I just can't justify spending that kind of money on a phone. I recently bought my very first smartphone. It was $100, without any kind of a service contract or anything (I just spend $10/month on a prepaid phone plan through PureTalk USA). So far, it works just fine. An iPhone might be slightly better, but I can't imagine it being worth $500 more.
Giovanni Schwartz

Dragon Lady wrote:I've dropped my iPod Touch in the toilet. Twice. The first time I dried it in rice and it was fine. The second time it took out my backlight. They replaced it for free. I put Apple Care on all of my devices, because I know how klutzy I am.
The new AppleCare covers accidental damage… including water damage.
I just want to make a plug for Microsoft. If you go the a Microsoft store, then they'll probably replace stuff for free. (I had a GREAT experience with them when my Surface (tablet) died. Walked in, showed them it was dead (not entirely my fault) and they gave me a brand new one out of the box.)
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Hijacking Katya's thread to ask for recommendations for myself.

The free phones they are offering me (and I don't really like to spend money on electronics that aren't a desktop):

LG Mach
LG Viper 4G LTE
Kyocera Hydro Edge
Kyocera Kona
Samsung array
LG Rumor Reflex S (or 5...I can't read my own handwriting)
iphone 4S

Anyone have specific recommendations from this list?
Deus ab veritas