General Conference Thoughts

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Tally M.

General Conference Thoughts

Post by Tally M. »

I think I enjoy General Conference more every time I watch it. So, some thoughts:

I was slightly surprised they didn't make any announcements in the Saturday Morning session like they usually do. I'm interested to see when they end up doing them instead.

I really enjoy the focus on covenants that they are making. I really felt like the talks given were really awesome.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Re: General Conference Thoughts

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

So far one talk has made me smile and sigh in relief, and one has made me cry (and not in a good way). It will be interesting to see how the rest goes!
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Portia

Post by Portia »

If women can be ordained, let me know.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Actually, I think the second counselor of the RS presidency's talk was pretty specifically directed at the movement, and pretty much explained why women don't really need the priesthood.
Portia

Post by Portia »

I was being sincere, not sarcastic. I read excerpts from her talk in a news article, and it was less than satisfying, but at least she didn't say that motherhood is a consolation prize. I appreciate that.

Uchtdorf's talk was HUGE. Has been generating a lot of buzz among my friends already. Although my never-LDS friends are a bit flippant and seem to think it's a country club I can just choose to leave or stay in anytime.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Tally M. wrote:Actually, I think the second counselor of the RS presidency's talk was pretty specifically directed at the movement, and pretty much explained why women don't really need the priesthood.
That's the one that made me cry. Because it actually (accidentally, I assume) explained why women SHOULD have the priesthood and to hear her use those examples as reasons why women don't need it was just too much for me.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

yeah, it seemed pretty clear that she was saying "women should be dependent on men for priesthood blessings!"

also I loved Pres. Uchdorf's talk. He knows just what to say.

What was up with this one guy saying women have an innate moral superiority? Pretty sure we all suffer from the "natural man"/woman.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

If they put us on pedestals, maybe we'll quit asking for equality!
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Exclamation point!
Deus ab veritas
Portia

Post by Portia »

I love you all.

I had the same response as you, bob. That is probably the best argument that women need to exercise the Priesthood I've ever read. If these women were able to give each other healing blessings, bless the sacrament ... It just makes so much more sense. If God isn't real and/or the Priesthood isn't real, then it's a moot point. Otherwise, saying these Honduran women's salvation depends on a sort of white man's burden ... Upsetting, to say the least.

I would be happy if Pres. Uchtdorf acceded to the helm. A Church focused on service and welcome to critical thinking is something I'd be able to be a part of.

It's not like outside the LDS Church a magical equality fairy comes and eliminates sexism. In my industry, technology, there are far fewer women and they're taken much less seriously than in many corners of BYU. Fighting to dispel stereotypes about your gender is exhausting. I've had men ogle me or call me "princess" out here! I'd rather be on the pedestal of benevolent sexism than deal with hostility.

The difference between the tech sector and the Church is the former actively courts change.

It would be funny if in 2,000 years, people of the High Church of the Internet looked at the boards of Facebook or Twitter of 2013 A.D. and said "see, we can't ordain women, it was always thus!

Perhaps I'll take up Pres. Uchtdorf on his invitation. At the very least, I'm not going to burn the bridge and ex myself. At any rate, people on this forum really represent what I find best and most uplifting about the LDS Church.
thatonemom

Post by thatonemom »

(obligatory) How bout that Elder Holland? That was excellent. Really and truly. Also, President Uchtdorf.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Oh my goodness. Yes. THANK YOU ELDER HOLLAND.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Whistler wrote:yeah, it seemed pretty clear that she was saying "women should be dependent on men for priesthood blessings!"

also I loved Pres. Uchdorf's talk. He knows just what to say.

What was up with this one guy saying women have an innate moral superiority? Pretty sure we all suffer from the "natural man"/woman.
Was it Elder Christofferson's talk?
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Yeah.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

I actually really liked Sister Stephens' and Elder Christofferson's talks.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Call Gérald Caussé to the Twelve. "Brothers and sisters are equal heirs to the same lineage." Need to go "far beyond simple tolerance." Savior broke social taboos, such as speaking with the Samaritan woman. Responsibility to welcome those outside our usual circle of friends. "Unity is not achieved by ignoring those who are not like us." Several times he spoke of "brotherhood and sisterhood," in a Priesthood session. Closed with "no one is a stranger to Heavenly Father," and that he's no respecter of persons.

It was very touching, and gave me a tiny glimmer of hope. The charming French accent don't hurt, either.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Uchtdorf killed it. Men just as likely as women to feel inadequate, like failures, or depressed.
Violet

Post by Violet »

Uchtdorf and Holland redeemed a lot of the terrible, but I still cried during Christofferson's talk and felt as Bob did about the examples in Stephens' talk.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Violet wrote:Uchtdorf and Holland redeemed a lot of the terrible, but I still cried during Christofferson's talk and felt as Bob did about the examples in Stephens' talk.
<hug>
Portia

Post by Portia »

Violet wrote:Uchtdorf and Holland redeemed a lot of the terrible, but I still cried during Christofferson's talk and felt as Bob did about the examples in Stephens' talk.
This Ensign article on Emmeline B. Wells might help. A little.