Credit Card question

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
Dragon Lady

Credit Card question

Post by Dragon Lady »

I normally don't use my credit card, but I've had a bad streak of leaving my debit card at home and forgetting until I'm checking out. So... question. I bought a jacket on my credit card. I paid off my credit card. I decided to return the jacket and got a credit on my credit card. So now I have a credit on my credit card. It's a Wells Fargo credit card, where I also have my checking. Can I transfer the credit from my credit card to my checking? Or would that count as a cash advance and be charged a fee?

I might just buy something else I need with that credit card, like groceries or something, just to use up the credit (then pay off the extra). But I thought I'd ask first, just in case anyone happened to know. Because I'd *rather* just have the money in my checking.
Giovanni Schwartz

Re: Credit Card question

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

I would say... just spend the debit on your credit card. In my opinion. Not that I know very much.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

It depends on the card, but yes, it is likely it would count as an advance. If I were you, I'd just put the next thing(s) I bought on the credit card to use up.

Incidentally, why is your preference to not pay with the credit card? Assuming you pay it off the same month, it shouldn't cost you anything extra, and in many cases, gives you extra perks.
Deus ab veritas
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

I would probably just use it. But I just use my credit card for everything and pay it all off once every 2 weeks because I get cash back on my credit card.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

I get nothing back on that card, to my knowledge. I only have it because it came by default.

On the other hand, I did get an Amazon credit card recently (so that Yellow could save $50 on my bday present. Haha.) and have used it a lot more lately. And for the same reason. Because I keep forgetting my debit card. But that one I don't mind so much, because I do get Amazon rewards for it.

I think mostly I don't use it because when it comes to budgeting, it's really annoying to have to deal with two different accounts. And although I'm pretty detailed and crazy about my budget, I'm also inherently lazy. And I'm always afraid that I'll forget to pay it off.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

how do you forget your debit card when you go shopping at Amazon?
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Nono. I forget my debit card when I go shopping at stores. But my Amazon credit card is in my wallet. (Usually I forget my debit card because I use it, then instead of putting it back in my wallet, I put it in my back pocket. Then when I go to bed I am too lazy to go back out to the car to put it away, so I set it on my dresser, and then forget to take it with me the next morning.)
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

I have my online banking set up to automatically pay my entire credit card balance a week before my payment date just in case I forget to go on there and pay it.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

I don't think I could set that up with my bank, but maybe I could set it up with my Amazon card. Which, I suppose now that I think about it, is through a bank. Chase. I just don't think of Chase as my bank...
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Well, I did it. I just set up automatic payments. Except... it just automatically does it on the due date. I'm a little nervous. I hate autopay for flexible amounts. But... it's probably a good thing. Now I just need to remember to log in to put transactions from there into my budget, so I don't end up overspending because I forgot I used my credit card...
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

I really should use this card more often. Just using it on accidental occasions I've already earned $9ish in the last couple of months. Consider it a Christmas bonus. Use it more now... use the points to buy Christmas presents.
S.A.M.

Post by S.A.M. »

Dragon Lady wrote:Then when I go to bed I am too lazy to go back out to the car to put it away
Do you typically leave your wallet in your car overnight?
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I've decided that you need a wallet small enough to fit into your back pocket :-).
Giovanni Schwartz

Whistler wrote:I've decided that you need a wallet small enough to fit into your back pocket :-).

Recommended: the Crabby Wallet. I got one when it was on Kickstarter, and it fits the 6 cards that I ever use, as well as any cash I need. I carry it in my front pocket. It's about a centimeter thick, and perfectly minimalist.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

hey, I have one of those too! I can't recommend it completely though because the elastic is already fraying on mine, probably because I keep it in my back pocket :-(.
Giovanni Schwartz

If it's fraying, you can email them and they'll replace it. There's something about it on the KS page for it. :)
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:If it's fraying, you can email them and they'll replace it. There's something about it on the KS page for it. :)
All I see is a bunch of comments from people who never got their wallets... not a good sign.
Giovanni Schwartz

Ryan Crabtree wrote:Domestic backers who haven't received their Red wallet yet, please send us a direct message so we can verify your order and shipping address with you.
If you received a defective wallet, please send an email to support@crabbygear.com. Include images of the defect and a subject of "KS Replacement Request".
An additional quality check has been implemented specifically to watch for the colored band fraying. We apologize this issue was missed in the original process for the first three colors. Please follow the above instructions if you received a defective wallet. The extra inventory for the first three colors have gone through the additional check and is ready for replacing defective wallets. The remaining six colors will go through this quality check before they get shipped out.
From Update #21, September... 19th? I think?
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

Dragon Lady wrote:Well, I did it. I just set up automatic payments. Except... it just automatically does it on the due date. I'm a little nervous. I hate autopay for flexible amounts. But... it's probably a good thing. Now I just need to remember to log in to put transactions from there into my budget, so I don't end up overspending because I forgot I used my credit card...
Yeah, I have a credit card with Wells Fargo and they do it on the due date, and I hate that. I can't remember how Discover does it, but I feel like it's slightly in advance. (Also, they're clearer about whether or not the automatic payments have kicked in or not.) Once I knew it was working with Wells Fargo I relaxed, though.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

S.A.M. wrote:
Dragon Lady wrote:Then when I go to bed I am too lazy to go back out to the car to put it away
Do you typically leave your wallet in your car overnight?
Yup. But typically if you can get into my garage, you can get into my house, too. So it's just as safe out there as it is sitting on the floor by the door to the garage, which is where I would store it otherwise.