Credit Card question

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
Dragon Lady

Re: Credit Card question

Post by Dragon Lady »

The problem with a small wallet is that I have So Many store cards that I actually use. And a handful of gift cards that I like to keep on hand, because if they're not with me when I happen to decide to stop at that store, then I'll never use them. (Trust me. Some of them are from my wedding almost 5.5 years ago.) I also like to have a small amount of cash with me.

Plus, the number of cards I use on a regular basis, or like to have on hand on a regular basis, is way more than 6. There's my debit card, my personal debit card (for purchases I don't want to be held accountable to the family budget for), library card, CostCo card, 2 insurance cards, driver's license, temple recommend (not that I use it as often as say, my debit card, but if I don't have it with me at all times, I'm liable to not make it into the temple when I do go), Smiths card, Subway card, and... maybe that's the end of the regular cards? That's 10, I believe.
Portia

Post by Portia »

I also have about 10 in my wallet, but only one of those is an actual bank card. Library, BYU ID, Wallgeen's, bikeshare, Anthro, etc.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

You still have and carry your BYU ID?
Portia

Post by Portia »

Dragon Lady wrote:You still have and carry your BYU ID?
Remember, I just graduated 5 months ago. Since it'd edition number 7, and I lose other photo ID cards at the rate you'd expect from that fact (about yearly), yes, yes I do.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

I... didn't know that to remember it. :) I thought you moved like... years ago. Before I did.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Dragon Lady wrote:I... didn't know that to remember it. :) I thought you moved like... years ago. Before I did.
I left in 2009, then got re-admitted in 2013. I have had nothing if not an adventurous path through academia.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

If you have a smartphone, there is an app called StoCard where you can put all your store card info and just pull it up on your phone when you go to the checkout instead of having the physical cards with you. I have probably 30 store loyalty cards/membership cards, so it has very much changed my life. :)
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Hmmm... I'll have to look into that, NerdGirl. But my Smiths card, I just swipe it in the card machine. So that's hard to give up a little... But the other ones I could give up.
Violet

Post by Violet »

Smith's you can just give them your phone number. I've been doing that since I moved out of my family's home to go to BYU.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

but not in self-checkout!
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

You can do it in self-checkout. You just enter your phone number as an "alternate ID."
Portia

Post by Portia »

Cindy wrote:You can do it in self-checkout. You just enter your phone number as an "alternate ID."
Yep.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

I don't know why, but it bugs me to take the time to tell the cashier when I could do it myself while she's ringing up my stuff. I've entered it as an Alt ID before, but on a $100 donut order (that's right, I bought 32 dozen donuts) it wouldn't work. And by the time it denied me the second time I was so mad at it that I just said, "Whatever. I'm done. I won't get a free 10¢ per gallon right now!" and left without getting the reward. And I haven't trusted it ever since.

Also, I checked, and there is no StoCard for iPhone. There is another one that looks similar, though. But it gets mixed reviews as to whether it actually works in store or not. Though, I kind of wonder if it's retina vs. non-retina screens... but no way to check except to just buy it and try it. We'll see...
NerdGirl

Post by NerdGirl »

There is StoCard for iPhone (I have it). :) Try here: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/stocard ... 78884?mt=8
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

That's to the Great Britain store. It's not currently available in the US store.
NerdGirl

Post by NerdGirl »

Oh, that's the problem - I'm not in the US. But weird that it linked to the Great Britain store.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Oh goodness. I'm going to go crazy. My first auto-pay month on my credit card is over. It ended on Dec. 24th. However, my bill isn't due until Jan. 21. So it won't pull out my payment until then. This might drive me insane. The control freak in me may not be able to let auto pay pay for me. I'm going to have money sitting in my checking for almost a full month after the statement ends?!?!

Seriously. My heart is racing a little right now. Not cool, Chase. Not cool.
SmurfBlueSnuggie

Post by SmurfBlueSnuggie »

If I remember correctly (I'm too tired to re-read the thread), the point of auto-pay was just to guarantee that you do not pay interest. If you make your payment early, auto-pay adjusts. So if you make a small payment right now, it will lower the payment on the 21st by that amount. Or if you pay in full tonight, you won't have anything move for auto-pay. Your control-freak nature can be satisfied by you making the payments each month, but by having auto-pay established, you can guarantee that if you forget a month, the payment will still be made on time and in full.
It doesn't matter what happened to get you to today, beyond shaping your understanding. What really matters is where you go from here.
NerdGirl

Post by NerdGirl »

Yeah, I almost always pay my bill myself before the auto-pay kicks in. I just use auto-pay as a back-up in case I forget or something happens to make sure my payment isn't late.
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

Dragon Lady wrote:The problem with a small wallet is that I have So Many store cards that I actually use.
I keep all my cards on a key ring. I just punch a hole in the corner, slide them on, and they stay all together. My license is next to my main debit card so cashiers never need to ask for ID, and all my other IDs, passes, gift cards, and library cards fit on there as well. You just can't punch things like UTA bus passes that have chips in them.