chick-flicks for guys

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

S.A.M.

chick-flicks for guys

Post by S.A.M. »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/75211/

Reminded me of a movie I saw a while back. Anyone remember Charly?
Dragon Lady

Re: chick-flicks for guys

Post by Dragon Lady »

This makes me giggle for reasons I'm guessing you don't know. But someone else on this forum does. :)

To answer your question, yes, I do remember Charly. I remember thinking it felt like two movies. Part A - Love story. Part B - Cancer story. But I still liked it.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Dragon Lady wrote:This makes me giggle for reasons I'm guessing you don't know. But someone else on this forum does. :)
I do :D
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

Dragon Lady wrote:I remember thinking it felt like two movies. Part A - Love story. Part B - Cancer story. But I still liked it.
Yeah, that surprised me. I thought it was over...but nope!
Portia

Post by Portia »

It's totally the Love Story for Mormons. (Also, I bet Love Story had a huge effect on the spike of Jennifers born in the '70s.)
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

Other less-traditional chick flicks I like:

Mr and Mrs Smith
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Run Lola Run
Dear Frankie (for the Gerard Butler lover)
Big Fish
Gods Must be Crazy 2
Waking Ned Divine
Mrs Pettigrew Lives for a Day

I know there are tons more on my shelves that I love, but I'm tired and it's late. Point is, I generally don't like chick flicks either, but I do like other movies that have a romantic element to the plot. Also I like Hindi chick flicks. Somehow the foreignness makes it more intellectually acceptable to me.
Portia

Post by Portia »

I thought of chick flicks as romantic comedies with a female protagonist. No?

I don't think 500 Days, much less some of these action movies, qualifies.
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

Right--I realize they don't really qualify, though I admit I haven't cared to hammer out a definite definition. I'm half joking that I don't fit the chick-flick-liking-mold, and half pointing out that if he doesn't like traditional chick flicks, you can still get your romance fix elsewhere. I feel like a high percentage of movies have a romantic subplot.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Read all about the nuances here.
Possibly the most triumphant example of this date-movie genre is Love Story, which, according to legend, is responsible for more pregnancies than any other single film.
Step it up, Charly!
S.A.M.

Post by S.A.M. »

Ha! Apparently Charly was re-released in 2012, in 3D. 3D! Huh. http://www.ksl.com/?sid=19070198
Digit

Post by Digit »

I had been observing this thread confusedly wondering if you all were really talking about the 1968 film adaptation of Flowers for Algernon :lol:
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Digit wrote:I had been observing this thread confusedly wondering if you all were really talking about the 1968 film adaptation of Flowers for Algernon :lol:
'Cause nothin' says romance like becoming grimly aware of your own cognitive deficits then sinking back into the hole of social oblivion!
S.A.M.

Post by S.A.M. »

Uffish Thought wrote:Right--I realize they don't really qualify, though I admit I haven't cared to hammer out a definite definition. I'm half joking that I don't fit the chick-flick-liking-mold, and half pointing out that if he doesn't like traditional chick flicks, you can still get your romance fix elsewhere. I feel like a high percentage of movies have a romantic subplot.
Yep, I would include Braveheart as a movie I would totally watch again that has a romantic subplot (Awesome movie. Actually one of my wife's favorites too).
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

I watched a chick flick called Win a Date with Tad Hamilton! that I quite liked. Sweet Home Alabama on the other hand, was not so good.

I think I watched them both on the same day for some reason.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I so very very dislike chick flicks. With the exception of Jane Austen movies, much to Marduk's chagrin.

Some of these alternatives are great, though. I liked Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and really liked 500 Days of Summer.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
thatonemom

Post by thatonemom »

My husband liked My Big Fat Greek Wedding, which is older but pretty funny. He liked The Host, too. At least, he said it was better than he was expecting.
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

I just saw the Host! I was annoyed at the voiced thoughts of the host girl (though I don't know how else they could have done it, really), but I was pleased they took out the things that I hated most about the book. I don't think girls lying about their age so guys will sleep with them is a great message to send teenagers, nor is "there are lots of circumstances where it's totally fine and even the right thing to doc for the guy you love to physically injure you." So way to go, movie, for removing those.
bismark
Old Man

Post by bismark »

Notting Hill.
About a Boy.
Love Actually.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Casablanca, Roman Holiday, and The Philadelphia Story are all much more romantic and feature much more handsome male leads than 99% of the tripe put out by studios in the past decade, which has been a particular downer for romantic film. (1993-2003, on the other hand, had some very good ones.) Some of the indie romances have been charming (Celeste and Jesse Forever), and some have been baffling (Gigantic).