books read this year

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Whistler

books read this year

Post by Whistler »

Goodreads has some stats on the number of books I've read this year. 29, which is my all-time low. My high is 77 for 2008, which is the year I was somewhat miserable working part-time and sitting in on classes when I wasn't technically a student. I think I play more videogames now.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Re: books read this year

Post by Katya »

I only read 15 (not counting picture books).
thatonemom

Post by thatonemom »

I just got a handy email from Goodreads about this very thing this morning. :) I read a little over 60, but I'm also a YA book blogger in another internet life.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

yeah, I think four of mine were picture books, and another 5 were shortish YA novels.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Aside from re-reading old favorites, the only books I have read this year were about either sex or politics.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

I've gone through 79 books this year. 49 of those were audiobooks. I've developed quite a fondness for the format, especially since it gave me something to do while cleaning floors.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

I think I am on #26 or so for the year, including five Game of Thrones tomes of 800+ pages each. Not too bad.
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

Probably 5-6 which is shameful, but I have very little time for reading during the school year. Such is the life of a teacher.
beautiful, dirty, rich
SmurfBlueSnuggie

Post by SmurfBlueSnuggie »

+15 - Wheel of Time and New Spring
+1 - The Book Thief
+1 - Elantris
+3 - reread of Ender's Game and two of the Shadow books
+3 - reread of The Book of Deacon trilogy
+1 - the first Percy Jackson book

And I'm pretty sure I'm missing something from the beginning of the year. I started WoT in May and I just know I read something other than the Ender books before that.
It doesn't matter what happened to get you to today, beyond shaping your understanding. What really matters is where you go from here.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

18, which is my highest since I joined Goodreads (about 3 years?).

Should we all say what our favorite book from this year was?

Mine is either The Lovely Bones (it was really engrossing), or At the Mountains of Madness.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Hmm I really liked The Painted Veil and Lahiri's Interpreter of Maladies.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

So is "Wheel of Time" actually good and worth reading? Like, is it well written? I can only imagine that a series that long has to be full of thick and "have to think through it" kind of writing, whereas I like to read fluff books, because reading is a relaxation activity for me.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:So is "Wheel of Time" actually good and worth reading? Like, is it well written? I can only imagine that a series that long has to be full of thick and "have to think through it" kind of writing, whereas I like to read fluff books, because reading is a relaxation activity for me.
I will get my boyfriend's opinion, considering his literary monogamy to this series this year. It strikes me as pretty fluffy.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Well, see, the thing is, I can't stand writing like JRR Tolkien. I mean, I respect what he did with the genre and what he made it become. I just can't STAND to read his writing, because it's so dense and unpleasant to look at. I find myself rereading the same page over and over again. (And I've tried to read LotR more than once. I've never even finished the Two Towers, though.)
Portia

Post by Portia »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:Well, see, the thing is, I can't stand writing like JRR Tolkien. I mean, I respect what he did with the genre and what he made it become. I just can't STAND to read his writing, because it's so dense and unpleasant to look at. I find myself rereading the same page over and over again. (And I've tried to read LotR more than once. I've never even finished the Two Towers, though.)
It's not similar to Papa Tolkien at all, afaict.

Tolkien is the top book on the Time 100 that I have not yet read. (I've read 16 of them.)
Portia

Post by Portia »

And the only two of the sixteen that I gave star ratings to that got five stars were Gatsby and Red Harvest.

I need to update my Goodreads so I can choose my Top 5 of this year. It's less obvious than in years past.
thatonemom

Post by thatonemom »

My husband loved The Wheel of Time series, and he's not much for dense, "you have to think about this too hard" writing. Although he thought a couple of the books in the middle weren't as good.

My favorite books from 2013 in general fiction were Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell and Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta. For speculative fiction The Girl of Fire and Thorns series by Rae Carson and Scarlet by Marissa Meyer (it's part of a series, though. The first book is called Cinder. They're fairy tale retellings)
mic0

Post by mic0 »

thatonemom wrote:The first book is called Cinder.
I just heard of this yesterday, do you like it? Is it worth it? I'm always wary of series and tend to stick to stand alone books, but the premise is really cool.
Portia

Post by Portia »

I think I have pretty different tastes from many here. I read a lot of classics. And non-fiction about the Balkans and stuff. And a lot of books in general.

The one YA book I read was terrible.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

My most highly ranked book this year was Hyperbole and a Half, but it kind of doesn't count as a new read because a lot of it is from her blog. Of entirely new reads, I'd say either The Reluctant Blogger or Leviathan (by Scott Westerfeld) is my favorite.