Sochi Prices

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Digit

Sochi Prices

Post by Digit »

CNN Money estimates the average American going to these games could spend $7,000 to $14,000 per person. Some figures from that article:
Many hotels are charging one grand per night. Family of Olympians can get the bargain price of $750 per night.
Event tickets start at about $100 and they can run into the thousands for hockey and skating.
Seats at the opening ceremony are between $793 and $1,838.
American attendees must also have a visa to enter Russia, which costs roughly $300.

In Russia, Olympics play you.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Digit

Re: Sochi Prices

Post by Digit »

Also, looks like many hotels have yellow water, tiny, bare rooms, and toilets you can't flush the toilet paper down (please do not flush toilet paper down the toilet; put it in the bin provided) :shock:
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

Digit wrote:Also, looks like many hotels have yellow water, tiny, bare rooms, and toilets you can't flush the toilet paper down (please do not flush toilet paper down the toilet; put it in the bin provided) :shock:
That's all pretty standard for Russia. Don't know why people would expect anything different.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Why can't their toilets handle TP, I wonder?
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

Digit wrote:Why can't their toilets handle TP, I wonder?
Poor plumbing, I'd suspect, don't want to deal with clogged pipes. Water pressure is haphazard at best.

I saw toilet paper trash in every bathroom in Ecuador when I visited there, and it's not uncommon in other areas of Latin America. I've been told it's the same in Thailand as well.

In some cases it might just be how they used to have to do things and now it has become the cultural norm. In any case, it's really not that big of a deal. You fold the toilet paper up so the poop is on the inside, there's usually a lid, and it's a small enough trash that it gets emptied frequently. It's just a different way of doing things.

In the US, we have this mentality of 'flush it and it's gone - out of sight, out of mind'. It's not exactly healthy. I've been on tours of sewage treatment facilities and it's amazing how much junk we flush down our toilets that really shouldn't be there. Just because you flush it doesn't mean it disappears.
wryness

Post by wryness »

Check out this Washington Post article for yet more reasons (including some of the aforementioned) why tickets to the Sochi Olympics sound ridiculously overpriced. After reading that, I'm not even that excited to watch the Olympics on TV, something I have traditionally done with my family for every round of the Games. (Then again, I'm living away from them anyway now. Bleah.)
Digit

Post by Digit »

So the yellow water from #13 is not only not safe enough to drink, they are being told it's too polluted to bathe in. I hope that's not a norm for most Russians.
Owlet
Board Writer

Post by Owlet »

Yarjka wrote: I saw toilet paper trash in every bathroom in Ecuador when I visited there
I was just thinking this! I remember forgetting a couple times and accidentally flushing the toilet paper, and I freaked out -- I thought I was going to break all of Ecuador's sewage system! Even though I was only there for a couple months, it took me a while to get used to the American way when I got back.
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

Digit wrote:So the yellow water from #13 is not only not safe enough to drink, they are being told it's too polluted to bathe in. I hope that's not a norm for most Russians.
Plenty of buildings turn the water off completely for most of the day. But yes, they should fix the problem, water contamination is no joke. We've had our own issues with it, so we should understand. I just think in the large scheme of things, these are fairly run-of-the-mill problems for Russia that should have been somewhat expected by reading any standard travel book on the region. I think people are deflated from high expectations (the high cost of the Olympics should bring a reward of posh luxury and entertainment), but they also seem overly gleeful about the chance to mock Russia's problems.
bismark
Old Man

Post by bismark »

There is something about folding up your used toilet paper in a nice little square that really makes you feel a connection to your inner self.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Speaking of different ways of taking care of business in different cultures around the world, don't they still use their good ol' left hand to do the job in Saudi Arabia and other countries on the Arabian Peninsula?
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

Digit wrote:Speaking of different ways of taking care of business in different cultures around the world, don't they still use their good ol' left hand to do the job in Saudi Arabia and other countries on the Arabian Peninsula?
I use my right hand to wipe, but I hold with my left when I pee. This ruined Gattaca for me (an otherwise great film) because the plot rests on the idea that right-handed people only use their right hand. Oh well.

Anyways, as far as Muslims go, things get more complicated than just which hand you use, depending on how strict you want to observe. Some will do a purifying wash (wudu - ablution) anytime they pass gas (but note: "If Satan approaches one of you saying 'you have broken your state of purity', tell him he is lying, unless you smell it with your nose or hear the sound with your ears.").
Digit

Post by Digit »

The idea of a devil appearing to someone and then accusing them of farting made me chuckle.

But referring to the left hand, I had read that they use just their left hand and water in rural parts. Is that what you do also?
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

Digit wrote:But referring to the left hand, I had read that they use just their left hand and water in rural parts. Is that what you do also?
Please stop referring to my rural parts, you don't know me that well!
Digit

Post by Digit »

Sorry, that wasn't very urbane of me at all :oops:
Portia

Post by Portia »

Yarjka wrote:
Digit wrote:Speaking of different ways of taking care of business in different cultures around the world, don't they still use their good ol' left hand to do the job in Saudi Arabia and other countries on the Arabian Peninsula?
I use my right hand to wipe, but I hold with my left when I pee. This ruined Gattaca for me (an otherwise great film) because the plot rests on the idea that right-handed people only use their right hand. Oh well.

Anyways, as far as Muslims go, things get more complicated than just which hand you use, depending on how strict you want to observe. Some will do a purifying wash (wudu - ablution) anytime they pass gas (but note: "If Satan approaches one of you saying 'you have broken your state of purity', tell him he is lying, unless you smell it with your nose or hear the sound with your ears.").
OMG GATTACA is amazing. Was there gratuitous Jude Law nudity that I forgot and need to go investigate?
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

Portia wrote:OMG GATTACA is amazing. Was there gratuitous Jude Law nudity that I forgot and need to go investigate?
Well, it never hurts to rewatch just in case.