New laptop

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

New laptop

Post by Katya »

So, my laptop has given me the blue screen of death twice in as many days, which has me thinking that it may be about to give up the ghost. If I get a new laptop, I need one with a DVD drive, because I don't have any other way to play DVDs, and I'm looking to stay with a PC. It doesn't need to be super light or portable, because I don't use it for work. I can't think of any other requirements, offhand. Any suggestions as to what I should buy?
SmurfBlueSnuggie

Re: New laptop

Post by SmurfBlueSnuggie »

I'm going to side-rant and complain that the laptop I found and loved DOESN'T HAVE A DVD OR CD DRIVE!!! Which is just stupid for a full-sized notebook.

For more helpful information, I've found the CNET reviews and especially their comparison tool to be amazingly useful in searching for laptops. I chose my last one that way and have loved her for the last few years. I'm hopeful on my current search as well. What do you use currently?
It doesn't matter what happened to get you to today, beyond shaping your understanding. What really matters is where you go from here.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I have a Lenovo ideapad that my husband got on a black Friday deal. My husband replaced the hard drive with a solid state drive, which significantly reduces boot/load times, which to me is a lot more noticeable than some of the other upgrades (although it is pretty spiffy otherwise, the Y480 http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/id ... index.html). Depending on what you need it for, you might not need very much processing power.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Just wanted to note that you *can* buy external DVD drives that attach to your computer. If you end up liking one that doesn't have one.
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

Uh, I got an Acer Aspire a few years back. I just had to replace the battery, but other than that I've liked it. It's good for writing documents and watching Netflix and playing a few not-too-visually-intense games. I like it.

Except that the audio port recently stopped working. At least the laptop batteries work well enough for my purposes.
SmurfBlueSnuggie

Post by SmurfBlueSnuggie »

Dragon Lady wrote:Just wanted to note that you *can* buy external DVD drives that attach to your computer. If you end up liking one that doesn't have one.
My main use for the DVD will be on flights and at friends' places swapping music. So an external is less desireable, although I have considered it as an option.
Whistler wrote:I have a Lenovo ideapad that my husband got on a black Friday deal. My husband replaced the hard drive with a solid state drive, which significantly reduces boot/load times, which to me is a lot more noticeable than some of the other upgrades (although it is pretty spiffy otherwise, the Y480 http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/id ... index.html). Depending on what you need it for, you might not need very much processing power.
In my search, I've been hearing great things about Lenovos. So, add to Whistler's feedback the aggregate feedback of several review sites and three random friends of mine. For what that's worth.
It doesn't matter what happened to get you to today, beyond shaping your understanding. What really matters is where you go from here.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Katya wrote:So, my laptop has given me the blue screen of death twice in as many days, which has me thinking that it may be about to give up the ghost. If I get a new laptop, I need one with a DVD drive, because I don't have any other way to play DVDs, and I'm looking to stay with a PC. It doesn't need to be super light or portable, because I don't use it for work. I can't think of any other requirements, offhand. Any suggestions as to what I should buy?
Now that I'm probably a couple days late:

I would recommend that if you don't need to take your laptop places (IE it just sits at home) you get/build a desktop instead. For the price of a laptop, you can probably build a desktop with similar specs, and buy a Chromebook or something similar and cheap for your mobile internet browsing needs (or just get a smartphone. Or did you already do that?)

Don't be intimidated by building a computer. I'm sure you either have a techy friend who can help, or you can figure it out (it's literally just "plug things in where they fit").

Although if you do want to go the "nicer laptop" route, you can't go wrong with Lenovo.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:Now that I'm probably a couple days late . . .
You're not too late.

Actually, my laptop has been behaving a bit better, lately, although I still wouldn't be surprised if it died within the next few months. So, thanks to everyone for all the advice, so far, and feel free to keep it coming!
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

SmurfBlueSnuggie wrote:I'm going to side-rant and complain that the laptop I found and loved DOESN'T HAVE A DVD OR CD DRIVE!!! Which is just stupid for a full-sized notebook.

For more helpful information, I've found the CNET reviews and especially their comparison tool to be amazingly useful in searching for laptops. I chose my last one that way and have loved her for the last few years. I'm hopeful on my current search as well. What do you use currently?
My last two laptops have been Dells, which I liked fine, but I've heard some bad things about their more recent hardware, so I thought I'd look around.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Also, I guess I should say that it does need to be somewhat portable, because I move it around my apartment quite a bit and I take it on trips. I just don't always carry it with me like a tablet.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

OK, the blue screen of death is back, so now I'm looking at the Lenovo site to see what my options are and . . . I don't know what I want. I use my laptop for surfing the internet, watching DVDs, streaming movies from Netflix, listening to music and podcasts, and doing things like word processing on Google Docs. Since I don't have a TV, I don't think I want to go with a screen that's too small, because my laptop is my only way to watch movies. (My current screen size is 14" and I don't think I want to go any smaller than that.)

At this point, I don't care a ton about it being light enough to carry with me everywhere (like a tablet), although maybe that would change if it was light enough to do so?

Thoughts or suggestions?
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I was telling Acius (my husband) about your laptop needs and he was like "pretty much any laptop these days can do that." I guess you'd want to make sure it has a DVD drive. The Lenovo L440 looks like it would probably be okay although some reviews say that it has wi-fi issues. The Z410 looks good too? I had trouble seeing the reviews from the main site but I could see them at reviews.lenovo.com.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Aaaaaand 2 weeks later...

I agree with what Whistler said. You probably don't need anything big inside. As long as it has WiFi, a screen size that you want, and a DVD drive, I'd say get something cheap from any reputable brand.
Owlet
Board Writer

Post by Owlet »

I think my laptop is also on its way out. I'm preparing for the day it simply won't turn on anymore by frequently backing up my files, but I'm concerned about my Photoshop program. Is there something special I need to do to make sure I can have it on my new laptop? I still have the installation CD, so I figure I can just use it again on whatever new computer I buy, but isn't there some way they prevent you from installing it on multiple computers?
blpsara

Post by blpsara »

Owlet, I think Photoshop can be installed on two machines. I would deactivate it from your old computer once you have your new one (that way it doesn't count as one of the two machines).

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/926511
Owlet
Board Writer

Post by Owlet »

Ah, I knew there had to be something. Thanks; that's exactly what I was looking for!