How you became a writer

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
the anglophile

How you became a writer

Post by the anglophile »

So I'm curious–what is it like to become a writer? We all understand what it's like to be one, but what are your experience on applying, probation, waiting to hear back from the editors, etc.? How hard is it to become a writer?
Portia

Re: How you became a writer

Post by Portia »

It's fairly competitive. I applied twice. I remember it being really stressful at the time, and agonizing about all my responses. Probation was fun, though.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I didn't apply the way you're supposed to--I never was able to find the question in question, although now I know that you just e-mail the editors. I was actually kind of a Board stalker and found some of the writers on Facebook. Someone had asked a question about what you should do when you find a writer, and one of the writers wrote something snarky, which I then private messaged the people I had suspicions about. Turns out one of them was an editor who then gave me an application. The best part was when I got part 2 on the thumb drive hidden in a book in the BYU library. Now I can't remember if that actually happened with my application, or if I'm remembering something else. I think usually they give the same questions to everyone to trial-answer, but unusually, I was given some questions they had lying around in the inbox, and the day I became I probie the answers from my application were right there on the site! That was a good feeling.
the anglophile

Post by the anglophile »

Whistler wrote:The best part was when I got part 2 on the thumb drive hidden in a book in the BYU library. Now I can't remember if that actually happened with my application, or if I'm remembering something else.
There's a thumb drive hidden in the BYU library? Is that part of everyone's application process...?
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

The application process is much different now. Less sneaking around. It's pretty much a completely online process, mostly due to the fact that one might not be in Provo when you're given the application.

I applied twice, which was actually a really good thing for me. (The space between my two applications was really crazy for me, and I probably would've burned out fast.) I went over that application with a fine tooth comb way too many times. We've got a new app though, which is great, because the old one was old. I'd probably say it takes a month to two months between when you submit an application request and when (if) you're hired on as a probational writer. Probation has the same requirements as being a writer without a lot of the perks. It's mostly to see if you can handle it, and if you're still the kind of writer we're looking for (beyond your application, since you have a decent amount of time to complete that). Then when the editors get around to it after about 6 weeks, you get to be a full writer, which is great.

As to how hard it is to become a writer...yayfulness once talked about in a question that half the apps we get are rejected, and then about half of those approved move on past probation. And I'm sure half or less of the people that get an application actually get to the point where writers see it.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

the anglophile wrote:
Whistler wrote:The best part was when I got part 2 on the thumb drive hidden in a book in the BYU library. Now I can't remember if that actually happened with my application, or if I'm remembering something else.
There's a thumb drive hidden in the BYU library? Is that part of everyone's application process...?
It was kind of a pain to set up, if I remember. I actually made one of the other books so we could have two going at once. I think someone asked a Board question about it and the answer was that _someone_ is holding on to them (for all I know that means they're hiding in Yellow and DL's basement :-)).
mic0

Post by mic0 »

I didn't even realize the flash drive was a thing until after I became a writer; I wish they had still been doing it when I applied!

I applied at the end of my freshman year (pushing it on their restrictions). Doing the application was really fun. There was a question about bigfoot's shoe size, so I emailed my high school boyfriend's dad who is a self-proclaimed bigfoot hunter, and got an "official" answer. I also took Mr. Mico with me on campus to answer questions about statues or something. I don't remember, but I remember liking it. I also originally said my 'nym would be "Bleeped", which was too edgy and apparently part of the reason they took a few months to get back to me. They asked if I could choose a different one. Then I started writing like two weeks before leaving for study abroad, so that was interesting. :)
Portia

Post by Portia »

But Sheebs is kosher? Hahaha.
the anglophile

Post by the anglophile »

mic0 wrote:I applied at the end of my freshman year (pushing it on their restrictions).
What do you mean "restrictions"? Do they normally not allow freshmen to write?
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

the anglophile wrote:
mic0 wrote:I applied at the end of my freshman year (pushing it on their restrictions).
What do you mean "restrictions"? Do they normally not allow freshmen to write?
They usually advise freshmen not to apply, just because of the experience and maturity that typically develops by the end of your freshman year. But that's flexible.