Do anyone of you live in your "hometown"?

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
mic0

Do anyone of you live in your "hometown"?

Post by mic0 »

Just like the topic says - do any of you live in your childhood hometown? Alternatively, do any of you live in the same town as your parents or other close family?

I just recently (yesterday) realized that it is a distinct possibility I could live in my childhood hometown and, furthermore, that I would probably really like to. It was just nothing I had considered before. Of course, I'd have to make new friends, but it would be neat to live near my parents and certain people I grew up around. Anyway, just wondering what that experience is like.
mic0

Re: Do anyone of you live in your "hometown"?

Post by mic0 »

(even I am puzzled as to why I put hometown in quotes. Ah well, there it is.)
the anglophile

Post by the anglophile »

I don't really have a hometown. I lived in Arizona until middle school, lived in Oklahoma for the worst two years of my life, and now I've been living in the midwest (or south, I'm literally right on the border) for the last four years. But yes, I still live at home. I guess I consider AZ where I grew up, and where I live now my hometown.

And I realize that this question probably isn't for people who still live at home but oh well...
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

I moved back to my hometown after college, but none of my family lives here anymore. I twas just me and my mom anyway (the FAA plopped her here when I was about 4 years old). I even work at my old middle school, which is delightful. I love being here, but I'm starting to get wanderlust, so I imagine I'll be moving in the next year or two unless I get hired at the new high school my district is building.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

mic0 wrote:Just like the topic says - do any of you live in your childhood hometown? Alternatively, do any of you live in the same town as your parents or other close family?
Yes to both, although I'm lucky that I was able to find a really good job in my hometown, so I had the benefit of both moving back home and getting a better job. If I'd had to chose between those two, I probably would have gone for the good job instead of going for moving back home.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

I also live in my hometown, although some of my formative years were spent in another state, and it is likely that I will be moving away soon.
Deus ab veritas
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

My husband grew up in Provo, for the most part, and his parents and lots of his relatives live around here.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

I live on the other of a large metropolis from where I grew up, about an hour away. It's nice because we can see my folks somewhat regularly if we want to, but we aren't so close we feel like we need to be there allll the time. Also, if you're planning on having kids, I hear grandparents make awesome babysitters.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Marduk wrote:I also live in my hometown, although some of my formative years were spent in another state, and it is likely that I will be moving away soon.
What? Who will cook me amazing Mexican food?
SmurfBlueSnuggie

Post by SmurfBlueSnuggie »

I ended up back in my hometown - something I never wanted to do - and have actually been surprisingly satisfied. I live about 15 minutes from my family's house and attend the YSA ward, so I only see them when I stop by home to do laundry.

Not planning on staying here long-term though. I've come to love it much more than I expected, but it's still not where I want to end up. At least not yet. I don't think I'd mind coming back again. But it's getting time to move on.
It doesn't matter what happened to get you to today, beyond shaping your understanding. What really matters is where you go from here.
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

I love the weather in my hometown and would love to be closer to my family, but there's a weird little part of myself that feels like going back there is giving up. At least before I've worked at a real job for a while. Also, I was so socially incompetent there that trying to join the social scene, even over a decade later, seems awkward and dangerous.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Yep. I live about 6 miles from where I grew up.