last-minute vacation conflicts

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
Portia

last-minute vacation conflicts

Post by Portia »

In a pattern which is extremely consistent, my father has decided to do something at the last minute. (cf his marriage.) These decisions always end up costing me time and money. He has invited me up to a family cabin for Pioneer Day weekend. I would love to go, but I also just got cast in a musical. (Hooray!) I recently got more vacation time (yay!), but am I the only one who thinks it looks incredibly flaky to request a long weekend off after the audition forms have been signed? Ugh.

I have 24 hours to let the company know if my conflicts are up-to-date.
Whistler

Re: last-minute vacation conflicts

Post by Whistler »

wow, frustrating. If you want to go you should ask though--I bet other members of the company will be gone that weekend.
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

Yeah--if they don't need you on that weekend, then you can take off easily. If they seem reluctant to let you go, you can tell your dad that you're sorry you can't make it, but you must made a time commitment you can't get out of.

You could also go for part of the time, if it works out that way.
Portia

Post by Portia »

UffishThought wrote:Yeah--if they don't need you on that weekend, then you can take off easily. If they seem reluctant to let you go, you can tell your dad that you're sorry you can't make it, but you must made a time commitment you can't get out of.

You could also go for part of the time, if it works out that way.
I think that's a good compromise. I know my brother is unable to go, because he has to work.

And it's true that that's a common travel weekend.

I doubt that this pattern will change. It causes me a good deal of stress, but I try to just realize that he and I have very different ways of functioning. I'm definitely a "planner" and a small hitch in a plan can spiral into bad functioning. I guess it won't be that big of a deal if the company says "no."