Your Interpretations of the Word of Wisdom

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
robotfish

Your Interpretations of the Word of Wisdom

Post by robotfish »

The WoW specifically says that "hot drinks are not for the body or belly" (D&C 89:9), which is generally interpreted as a prohibition of coffee and tea. Since products like coffee ice-cream are neither hot nor drinks, does that make them okay for consumption? If not, does the statement that they aren't for the body mean that things like green tea face masks are in violation of the WoW?

(I should clarify that I've already got an opinion, I'm just interested to hear what you guys think.)
Yarjka

Re: Your Interpretations of the Word of Wisdom

Post by Yarjka »

Anything goes! :twisted:

But really, the hot drinks thing is kind of ridiculous, since every Mormon I know drinks Hot Chocolate with no misgivings.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

yeah, didn't some prophet clarify that the "hot drinks" part is coffee/tea?
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

Whistler wrote:yeah, didn't some prophet clarify that the "hot drinks" part is coffee/tea?
A lot of prophets have clarified a lot of things about the Word of Wisdom, from decaf coffee being okay (McKay) to caffeinated soft drinks being not okay (Hinckley). But as far as the official line of the church, "hot drinks" means coffee and tea. It is not specified that herbal tea is excluded from that, but those are tea in name only (can be called a tisane or infusion if one doesn't like the association with tea). But even then, you have your gray areas ... yerba mate and the like.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Only tangentially related: I am trying to break my caffeine habit for about the 80 millionth time and it sucks. You Mormon types are probably right about coffee after all....
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I love my hot chocolate and am currently strategically consuming Dr. Pepper to support me through a huge order. I've also eaten Tiramisu, have coffee-flavored ice cream in my freezer (tasty!) and have considered trying some of the barely-coffee drinks (like... mochas, I think?) because I love me some hot drinks. I just like sipping warm, sweet things, and sometimes a little caffeine does not go amiss.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Mochas are definitely coffee. Mixed liberally and calorifically with chocolate, natch, but it's coffee.
Shrinky Dink

Post by Shrinky Dink »

Yarjka wrote:A lot of prophets have clarified a lot of things about the Word of Wisdom, from decaf coffee being okay (McKay) to caffeinated soft drinks being not okay (Hinckley). But as far as the official line of the church, "hot drinks" means coffee and tea.
This is definitely rumor mill stuff, but when I was in seminary, I was told that after the interview with President Hinckley was filmed, some of his family asked him about the soft drinks and he said that he was nervous and misspoke. Again, definitely rumor mill stuff, but I guess this is what happens when you grow up in Salt Lake....
*Insert Evil Laughter Here*
Portia

Post by Portia »

It alarms me that grown adults can't make these choices for themselves.

"What goes into someone's mouth does not defile them, but what comes out of their mouth, that is what defiles them." Matthew 15:11