“Frozen” is also a metaphor for abusive relationships

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Portia

“Frozen” is also a metaphor for abusive relationships

Post by Portia »

So. I made a few comments to the effect that I had found someone I connected with on Tinder with a guy. Here is a cautionary tale in Frozen images.

No secret that this was me.

and things seem to be better, right?

I was all, WHY HELLO THERE DO I LOOK VULNERABLE BECAUSE I AM.

Well, wouldn't you know it, he does "love crazy."

I really have never met "someone who thinks so much like me!" And he even said (verbatim) "I've only felt like this once before in my life!"

But hmmmm ... it seems like we have some pretty radically different life goals ... and he seems to be moving really quickly ... like, if not formally proposing marriage, at least bringing it up after one date.

My brother's all like, what? You barely know this guy. If he doesn't love you for you, then forget it. You're awesome as you are.

And I'm like BUT BUT WE'RE PERFECT FOR EACH OTHER. I think about him all the time, so obviously I need to pursue this!

I start getting a bit hesitant when it seems like he might actually be trying to gaslight me. Like, constant texting and third-degree questioning. So things get to the point that I'm calling my ex. So Kristoff, what do we think of this?

"What color are his eyes?"
"Dreamy!" (Seriously they were this exact shade of hazel/green. It was odd.)
"It wouldn't make you happy and you damned well know it."

So after this conversation and plenty of other reddest of red flags, I'm thinking, okay, it's only been a few days and one, date, how hard will it be, right?

This is where the (SPOILER ALERT) complete lack of any kind of scruples of the Hans character becomes important.

me: I don't want a relationship.
him: Doesnt [sic] mean you wont [sic] want one later
... You thought about me all the time

(Yes that's called flirting. Not a commitment to marry you.)

That was a welp, blocky blocky block moment for me.

I know that the metaphor of Elsa's "coming out" was quite the hot topic when the film came out, and she is the protagonist. But Anna is an interesting character study in (a) other responses to grief (b) how someone who is more traditionally "feminine" and maybe doesn't perceive herself as "special" might act as young adult (c) how -- I think very realistically! -- a certain kind of desperate hunt for love that can arise if you feel isolated, or are in grief, or are even socialized that way.

'Cause for the first time in forever
I won't be alone

I can't wait to meet everyone! [gasp]
What if I meet... the one?

Funny in "Provo Girls" skits but a little scary if you have no boundaries.

She also shows heroic, selfless behavior and doesn't end up with the gaslighting narcissist. In fact her story arc isn't wrapped up in a marriage at all -- because there really is more than meeting the one. Even for the MPDG, not just the tortured introvert. Woohoo!
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Re: “Frozen” is also a metaphor for abusive relationships

Post by Emiliana »

Oh dear. Well, at least you figured it out pretty quickly.
Portia

Re: “Frozen” is also a metaphor for abusive relationships

Post by Portia »

Emiliana wrote:Oh dear. Well, at least you figured it out pretty quickly.
Yeah, right? Scary stuff. I'm glad I have good friends and a brother and a counselor for sanity checks.