Decorating your boyfriend's room

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Decorating your boyfriend's room

Post by NerdGirl »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/78916/

This question reminded me of a time at BYU that I helped a guy friend move into a new apartment (to a private room). It was a 4 person apartment. Roommate number one was there at the beginning, and he just watched TV while guy friend and I hauled boxes into his room. Then roommate number 2 came home and totally flipped out because I was bringing boxes into a boy's bedroom. So he told me I had to pile the boxes I brought in in the kitchen. So I did. Then roommate number 3 came home, and freaked out because I was putting the boxes in the kitchen and not bringing them into guy friend's room. They started yelling and swearing at each other (I guess roommate number 2 missed reading that part of the honor code), and finally I was just like, "Sorry bro, your roommates are nuts and it seems they are going to prevent me from helping you move."

So then we went and got tacos and waited until the next day when they were all at church to finish moving his stuff in so they wouldn't see me. :p
Amity

Re: Decorating your boyfriend's room

Post by Amity »

The no-members-of-the-opposite-sex-in-your-bedroom thing was so thoroughly ingrained into me that even now, six years after I left BYU-approved housing, it's still a little weird for me to go into a guy's bedroom or have a guy in my bedroom.
SmurfBlueSnuggie

Post by SmurfBlueSnuggie »

My parents had the same rule before I went to college. My first post-graduation boyfriend would come over and one night my dad finally told me "You guys can just go into your room to watch your shows if you want." And I was a bit flabbergasted. But it's really nice being able to bring a guy somewhere private so we can have less guarded conversations. And make out. Both are nice. I mean, it's really hard to have some of the serious life discussion in the same room as all your roommates or family. And cars are only so comfortable.
It doesn't matter what happened to get you to today, beyond shaping your understanding. What really matters is where you go from here.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

I had the same rules growing up and didn't really break them until awhile after I started dating Marx... Finally his roommate asked walked in on us one too many times and asked, "If y'all are gonna make out, could you PLEASE go in the bedroom?"
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

No boys were allowed in my room at my dad's house (even at 28, this is still a rule pretty much), but my mom loosened up on it when I was about 17. She was already convinced I was having sex(I wasn't until I was 18), so she didn't really care. I usually left my door open when boys were over anyway since my room was in a totally separate part of the house.

Having boys in my room in college was only awkward because of roommates. Once I had my own space it was NBD.
beautiful, dirty, rich