#79186 - Catcalling

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

#79186 - Catcalling

Post by Katya »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/79186/

I think this question is interesting because it demonstrates an almost textbook case of privilege. I don't mean that in the sense "Oh, this guy is an oblivious jerk," but that because of who he is and because of how his presence affects the behaviors of others, he could go through his life honestly unaware that this particular offensive behavior is still quite common in the lives of many women.
Tally M.

Re: #79186 - Catcalling

Post by Tally M. »

To be honest, I'm much in the same boat as Squirrel--when I'm out and about, I'm usually listening to my iPod, so I'm pretty oblivious to it. But even I know that it happens to a bunch of other people regularly.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Absolutely, Katya. The very few times I've seen it have been in a case where I have been out of sight for some reason just before the catcall: exiting the store or vehicle just after a female friend/family member. I can't fathom the formative environment that produces it, but then again, I've actively fought against hyper masculinization for most of my life.
Deus ab veritas
Portia

Post by Portia »

In the mouth of two or three witnesses ... I got howled at like that famous cartoon with the wolf just the other day, walking to work, minding my own business. Reminded me of Concorde's barkers. The worst experience I've ever had in this vein was when I was running near Creek Road and Highland Drive (a very upscale, safe neighborhood, for those who don't know SLC well, but major roads) two and a half years ago. It must have been Cinco de Mayo. I get catcalled, then assaulted with a Big Gulp type drink. It really hurt, it got some speed on its exit from the vehicle! The icy beverage soaked my socks and shoes, which was uncomfortable, they left a bruise, and of course my pride was wounded. It being Cinco de Mayo, they were likely drunk, but it still sends a message, doesn't it -- you aren't free to jog in your own hometown, your own neighborhood, unmolested. -_-