#79386—Scholarship Matrix

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

the anglophile

#79386—Scholarship Matrix

Post by the anglophile »

I have a 34 on the ACT. I saw this new matrix and now I'm freaking out. Am I really only eligible for 1 year tuition? I had really hoped to be able to get a 4 year scholarship with my score, but I guess it isn't good enough. Is this matrix just an estimate or is it true: I'm only eligible for a one year scholarship with my score?
Whistler

Re: #79386—Scholarship Matrix

Post by Whistler »

it's probably true. but don't freak out! If it's still like when I went to BYU you can re-apply for a yearly scholarship that depends on your GPA (so, for instance, I was awarded 4 years of tuition by renewing my 1-year scholarship every year).
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

Me, too, the anglophile! Don't worry; you can totally get just as much tuition coverage by re-applying every year.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Well, that's assuming that you keep your college GPA up. I barely squeaked by with the 3.5 most years. I got a 34 but a 35-equivalent on the SAT, IIRC. Have you tried taking both, anglophile?
Portia

Post by Portia »

Huh. Looking at my record summary, I actually got a 33 and a 33-equivalent on my first round of the SAT, brought it up to 34. Glad that even a second-tier school is only available to the children of those who can afford a legion of ill-paid test prep tutors. I had a 3.98, so yeah, it looks like my situation was objectively better than yours is now. :-| I think the "expected contribution" should be an "actual contribution:" I only went to college because of a more generous matrix.

Have you considered looking at non-BYU schools? The sister of a guy I tutored didn't get full tuition at BYU, but she did at Wellesley. I know Imogen would be a good resource for small, east-coast schools.

Maybe BYU could quit their constant reconstruction projects and do a Germany?
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Portia wrote:

Maybe BYU could quit their constant reconstruction projects and do a Germany?
Students who develop troubles with the church are already shamed enough because their tuition is subsidized by tithing, that would make it soooo much worse.
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

One more trick for getting scholarships -- pick a major early so you can apply for departmental scholarships. Lots of donors set up scholarships for particular majors, and there's not always a lot of competition for them.

Also, if you attend classes in the summer and have a decent GPA, you are very likely to get a scholarship for the summer.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Yarjka wrote:Also, if you attend classes in the summer and have a decent GPA, you are very likely to get a scholarship for the summer.
Yep! :-) Got this in addition to my regular scholarship. Spring is my favorite term at the school.