Respect During Prayers

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Respect During Prayers

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/79494/

"Thee" and "thou" were familiar terms, not formal ones. Which is why I now say "you" in prayers. I'd much rather have a familiar God than a distanced one (plus, I wasn't sure how to pluralize "thee" and "thou" when I started praying to both parents).

Proper respectfulness during prayers is something I've thought a lot about since most things people consider respectful are things I can't/won't do: I can't kneel due to bad ankles, folding my arms seems standoffish (plus my chest is kind big), bowing my head for extended periods can make me dizzy as can closing my eyes, etc. etc. etc. Family prayer/food blessing on Sundays usually occurs when I'm still in the middle of something that I have to continue throughout the prayer (stirring for example). I have even occasionally said prayers as I took my morning drive to Marduk's house.

So for me being respectful has more to do with my thoughts than my actions. I try to clear my mind and focus on the conversation/what the person praying is saying. Then I still feel respectful and connected no matter what my body is doing/wearing. (I sleep without clothes and for a while felt weird praying naked, but as I got more comfortable in my skin I realized God probably doesn't care either.)
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Yarjka

Re: Respect During Prayers

Post by Yarjka »

bobtheenchantedone wrote:"Thee" and "thou" were familiar terms, not formal ones. Which is why I now say "you" in prayers. I'd much rather have a familiar God than a distanced one (plus, I wasn't sure how to pluralize "thee" and "thou" when I started praying to both parents).
Plural form is "ye" for "thou" (although "you" is also permissible) and "you" for "thee." So, pretty much just use "you".
Digit

Post by Digit »

Interesting. Closing your eyes for extended periods can cause dizziness? I never heard of that happening to anyone. I hope that doesn't interfere with sleeping.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

I've always been terrible at keeping my eyes closed. It's like I have to put so much mental energy into closing my eyes that I can't concentrate on the prayer as much. Ironically, it was my least favourite and very non-understanding DL on my mission who was the first one to just non-chalantly say "Why not just keep your eyes open then?"
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Zedability wrote:I've always been terrible at keeping my eyes closed. It's like I have to put so much mental energy into closing my eyes that I can't concentrate on the prayer as much. Ironically, it was my least favourite and very non-understanding DL on my mission who was the first one to just non-chalantly say "Why not just keep your eyes open then?"
I pray better with my eyes open. So that's what I do during my personal prayers.
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

My MTC district was saying a group prayer once and one missionary started giggling and it was infectious and by the end nobody could keep it together and finally the person saying the prayer broke up and giggled an Amen. We then opened our eyes and looked at one another like "what the heck was that about?" We chalked it up to the spirit being in a playful mood.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Digit wrote:Interesting. Closing your eyes for extended periods can cause dizziness? I never heard of that happening to anyone. I hope that doesn't interfere with sleeping.
Usually it doesn't happen when I'm lying down. I just seem to struggle when I'm upright in some fashion and can't see what's around me to be able to stabilize/ground myself. I get dizzy walking outside at night and in dark rooms as well. (I first discovered this at Walt Disney World, where I found I had to hold onto a friend in the Haunted Mansion to keep from falling over.)
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

bobtheenchantedone wrote:
Digit wrote:Interesting. Closing your eyes for extended periods can cause dizziness? I never heard of that happening to anyone. I hope that doesn't interfere with sleeping.
Usually it doesn't happen when I'm lying down. I just seem to struggle when I'm upright in some fashion and can't see what's around me to be able to stabilize/ground myself. I get dizzy walking outside at night and in dark rooms as well. (I first discovered this at Walt Disney World, where I found I had to hold onto a friend in the Haunted Mansion to keep from falling over.)
Hopefully it's not part of a larger vestibular disorder. I was reading that vertigo with your eyes closed is pretty common (I think it just means that your movement is harder to track, especially if your inner ear isn't especially accurate about your position). This is kind of similar to the type of vertigo you get if you are playing a game with a VR headset.
Shrinky Dink

Post by Shrinky Dink »

I don't really close my eyes either because it feels weird to close them for such a long period of time when I'm still awake. I can't even use the eye shade thingies on the airplane because I open my eyes and then it messes with my eyelashes and I have to readjust it.
*Insert Evil Laughter Here*