Shaving vs. Waxing

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Shaving vs. Waxing

Post by NerdGirl »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/79874/

I am a huge proponent of option C, leave your pubic hair alone. I've seen enough abscesses from ingrown pubic hairs and bad razor burn at this point in my career that I am just like no. Humans have hair there, it's ok to have hair there. Plus, the way that more and more people seem to think that women should be totally hairless down there and essentially look like pre-pubescent children is more than a little creepy.

Further reading (slightly NSFW depending on where you W (but no pictures), and non-specific references to sex):
http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2011/04/war-pubic-hair.html
http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2013/04/par ... -hair.html
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Re: Shaving vs. Waxing

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Actually the rate of ingrown hairs and the like decreases dramatically when one forgoes panties.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

So...does that belief extend to all body hair, Nerdgirl? Unshorn legs and armpits and faces? If not, why not?
Deus ab veritas
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

There is also the middle way of trimming but not actually shaving or waxing because, um, ouch.

I would imagine that pubic areas are more prone to infections than faces or armpits, another reason for leaving that hair alone, whereas legs and faces and armpits aren't as likely to be damaged by shaving. But I am definitely a believer in people having every right to leave that hair alone if they want to. Fun fact: I haven't shaved my legs in probably almost three months. My best friend hasn't shaved hers in five years.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Yeah, I really honestly don't care what other people do with their body hair.

The fact that some people do....astounds me.
Deus ab veritas
Shrinky Dink

Post by Shrinky Dink »

Emiliana wrote:There is also the middle way of trimming but not actually shaving or waxing because, um, ouch.

I would imagine that pubic areas are more prone to infections than faces or armpits, another reason for leaving that hair alone, whereas legs and faces and armpits aren't as likely to be damaged by shaving.
The pubic area is also extremely sensitive. I think if someone is uncomfortable with the level of hair and this is their first time in removing hair from down there, they should probably start with a trim. Overall, it's up to the person doing the hair removal.
*Insert Evil Laughter Here*
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Emilian and Shrinky Dink - agreeing with you. Trimming all the way. So much easier and less painful.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

Marduk wrote:So...does that belief extend to all body hair, Nerdgirl? Unshorn legs and armpits and faces? If not, why not?
Yes, it does, but it's just so much worse when you get shaving-related badness in the pubic area, so I'm maybe not as vocal about beards/armpits/legs. If people really want to shave/wax, then that's their business, but I don't want people to think they have to and I want people to know that they can get ingrown hairs and and razor burn and infections. I'm not opposed to hairlessness if it's what people truly want, I'm opposed to the way that hair removal seems to be turning into this expected social obligation and this whole idea that humans (and not just women, either) should have hairless crotches. And I just talk to so many women who wax or shave, but they hate it and it's painful, but they think no one will want to have sex with them if they stop. People have pubic hair, and society needs to stop acting like that's gross and horrifying. I'm also opposed to the BYU beard ban, but you probably already knew that.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Far warning: the following anecdote may very well offend delicate sensibilities.

All right, now that you're here, I have a story. I trim and usually shave anything a swimsuit bottom wouldn't cover, but I've never waxed. As I have mentioned, I had an ongoing flirtationship with a guy who came to see me perform in a musical/throw himself at me. For my role, I had to apply liberal amounts of hairspray to my head hair and torture it with curlers. I made a crack about how despite the amount of work, the retro look was actually pretty cute. Well, once we ended up back at my place, the following exchange went down. "Well, the curtains match the drapes." Not catching his illusion, I was like, ?!?. He said " ... both retro." O_o I honestly don't know if that's the most offensive, hilarious, or both remark I've heard in an amorous context. {facepalm}
Integrating Editor

Post by Integrating Editor »

I haven't had smoothly shaved legs in over a year. I've occasionally used a razor to do a sort of trim when I was going to be at the beach, but I have a patch of eczema on one leg that becomes a flaking, bleeding painful mess if I shave frequently or closely. It seems silly to shave one leg but not the other or to leave a large patch on one leg unshaved while shaving the rest, so I've just stopped. I've also gotten out of the habit of shaving armpits since I stopped keeping razors available. I've gotten pretty mixed reactions. Most people either don't notice or don't care, but I've had some roommates discuss just how nasty it is when women don't shave. If I try to argue that it's a pretty arbitrary and personal standard to judge people on or that shaving can increase chances of skin irritation, I'm dismissed. Once I acknowledged that I don't shave and explained the eczema issues, I've had a few people apologize for calling it gross, but some insist that while I may have good reasons for not conforming to their beauty standard, it still is gross. I do wish that no one would require another person to have a medical condition in order to have their differing personal grooming choices be acceptable.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I agree with you.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Whistler wrote:I agree with you.
Definitely.