Apartments Near Murray

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
Tally M.

Apartments Near Murray

Post by Tally M. »

I'm starting to look at apartments near my new job, but running into the problem that I have no idea what the areas are like. What are some good, relatively social (less families than singles) near the north end of Murray (or close to there)?
Portia

Re: Apartments Near Murray

Post by Portia »

I have a friend who is very involved in all things Murray. I passed his question on to you. I don't think you're going to find much ("social" is definitely concentrated further north, in my opinion, as well as "non-families,"), but he knows the area better than me. I was involved in a musical in Murray though, so there are some things to do, as well as my favorite music store in the valley.
Shrinky Dink

Post by Shrinky Dink »

I grew up in the Holladay area. If you're active LDS, you could join some of the YSA facebook pages in the area and see if some of the posted activities are things you're interested in doing. I also agree that you're probably going to get more singles as you go further north because you're getting closer to the U of U.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/HYSAStake/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MurrayUtahYSA/?fref=ts
*Insert Evil Laughter Here*
Portia

Post by Portia »

Tally, here's what he said initially:
Haha well I am flattered, and I always relish in a chance to talk about/sell Murray haha.
Well the Fireclay District/area is rather nice especially since it is on the northern end of Murray and is ideal for TRAX access.
I have a handful of friends who live around there and it is really nice.
Let me think about some others and I can let you know
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

Oh man you should go with Turnberry. Tons of BYU grads makes it a "relatively social" place (also it's a huge complex, split into two YSA wards -- I prefer my ward but if I were in the other one I think I'd prefer it). It's not far from public transportation and also if you consider "north Murray" to be like 4500 S it is on 4500 S (and 1300 E, so it's actually in Holladay I mean Millcreek but it's close to Murray). It's not all YSA -- lots of refugee/international families live in Turnberry too.

And I can't even tell you how great it is here. The ward, the stake. Tons of activities -- next month we literally have something going on every weekday. (Because basketball. But going to the games actually becomes a social thing and I'm actually kind of excited for it.) I've lived here for 3 years with no plans to move (because I will never get married).

The Fireclay area also seems nice, but my only familiarity with it is it's right by the trax station I drive to every morning. I think it's also in our stake (Holladay).

If you're looking for more of a student vibe (as opposed to young professional) I would probably suggest closer to campus -- the nice thing about Salt Lake is public transportation really can get you most places.

So ummmm if you're interested talk to me. I can hook you up with the housing pages. I can give you more deets on the wards.
Portia

Post by Portia »

C is for wrote:If you're looking for more of a student vibe (as opposed to young professional) I would probably suggest closer to campus -- the nice thing about Salt Lake is public transportation really can get you most places.
Yeah, this is true. Where I am in Draper is all yuppies and, like, rich divorcés. We all keep to ourselves. Shhhh don't let the secret out. ;-) But I go up to Sugar House when I want to be social.
Portia

Post by Portia »

In terms of finding a group of Mormons, though, it shouldn't be difficult. It seems to me that most non-/ex-Mormons concentrate downtown and in the Avenues, and near the canyons for the sporty types. But the culture wars of Utah County don't seem to be as big a deal up here: most people seem to do their own thing.

HOWEVER for (online?) dating it is pretty much imperative to state where you stand on religion, kids, and when/if you'll have sex. It's kind of interesting. Even the YSA wards are going to have more "social Mormons" than BYU, so that's something to keep in mind, I suppose. But it's kind of funny how I'll run into prominent ex-Mormon activists and friends from my home ward in the same day. But we all get along well enough, imo.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

C is for wrote:Oh man you should go with Turnberry. Tons of BYU grads makes it a "relatively social" place (also it's a huge complex, split into two YSA wards -- I prefer my ward but if I were in the other one I think I'd prefer it). It's not far from public transportation and also if you consider "north Murray" to be like 4500 S it is on 4500 S (and 1300 E, so it's actually in Holladay I mean Millcreek but it's close to Murray). It's not all YSA -- lots of refugee/international families live in Turnberry too.

And I can't even tell you how great it is here. The ward, the stake. Tons of activities -- next month we literally have something going on every weekday. (Because basketball. But going to the games actually becomes a social thing and I'm actually kind of excited for it.) I've lived here for 3 years with no plans to move (because I will never get married).

The Fireclay area also seems nice, but my only familiarity with it is it's right by the trax station I drive to every morning. I think it's also in our stake (Holladay).

If you're looking for more of a student vibe (as opposed to young professional) I would probably suggest closer to campus -- the nice thing about Salt Lake is public transportation really can get you most places.

So ummmm if you're interested talk to me. I can hook you up with the housing pages. I can give you more deets on the wards.
Turnberry seems great! It's right in my price range, and the kitchen even has the half wall kind of thing I've been looking for. It's definitely near the top of my list.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Tally M. wrote:
C is for wrote:Oh man you should go with Turnberry. Tons of BYU grads makes it a "relatively social" place (also it's a huge complex, split into two YSA wards -- I prefer my ward but if I were in the other one I think I'd prefer it). It's not far from public transportation and also if you consider "north Murray" to be like 4500 S it is on 4500 S (and 1300 E, so it's actually in Holladay I mean Millcreek but it's close to Murray). It's not all YSA -- lots of refugee/international families live in Turnberry too.

Turnberry seems great! It's right in my price range, and the kitchen even has the half wall kind of thing I've been looking for. It's definitely near the top of my list.
I hope you enjoy living in Salt Lake County. :-)
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Thanks! I'm looking forward to the change of pace.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Same question, but for the South Jordan/Bluffdale area. (Because my company is moving and I want to see if there's an option to not commute)
Portia

Post by Portia »

Is Daybreak in your price range? I think of it as very Mormony, and it's near transit.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

My aunt and uncle live in Daybreak and it seems like a really cool community. I guess they have lots of different types of units? But I hear they're really popular, so it would probably be difficult to get a spot.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Yeah, daybreak is just barely out of my price range.

BUT the new office is going to be right by the South Jordan trax station--meaning it only takes 8 minutes to get to the Murray station, and it's only 2.50. Totally worth just staying in Murray.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Tally M. wrote:Yeah, daybreak is just barely out of my price range.

BUT the new office is going to be right by the South Jordan trax station--meaning it only takes 8 minutes to get to the Murray station, and it's only 2.50. Totally worth just staying in Murray.
+1